Loose Chippings

partypolitics

It improves the water resistance of the road surface and prolongs the life of the road and as new tarmac is a damn sight more expensive than surface dressing, I'm all in favour of it! People would only bemoan the DoT if they did bugger all the maintain the nice new roads they've just laid. And they do it in the Summer because it's pointless doing it in winter, the roads are too cold and/or too wet, which would result in a shite job. Any numpty with half a brain can see why a rougher surface is going to be better than a smooth one (I'll give you a hint: Friction and therefore, grip).

The timing of the stuff on the coast road could be a little better, I'll give you that, there are enough delays when the roads are closed for the bikes but at least they're maintaining a route through, the whole of the road isn't closed.

Returning a road surface to it's original state after digging a trench across it is pretty difficult. The composition of a road is usually 220mm thick, made up of roadbase, base course and wearing course and then you've got to dig down through the various strata to get down to the pipes or cables. A road is a composition, it's laid in continuous layers and it's subject to settlement over a period of time, a strip of road, even if the compostion is the same, will react differently to the rest of the road, which is why areas are raised and others sunken.

OK Mr Macadam - elementary schoolkid stuff about friction and what not - if a rough surface is so grippy, how come race tracks are so smooth. You don't get mountains of shale at Indianapolis.

May protect the surface and last longer - that I'll give you. But your comments about the coefficient of grip are pure hokum.

OK Mr Macadam - elementary schoolkid stuff about friction and what not - if a rough surface is so grippy, how come race tracks are so smooth. You don't get mountains of shale at Indianapolis.

May protect the surface and last longer - that I'll give you. But your comments about the coefficient of grip are pure hokum.

Because of friction....downforce produces adequate grip for a race car, 2 tonnes of that forcing a car on to the black stuff should be more than enough in normal race conditions, they also have different sets of tyres for every occasion, which costs thousands of pounds. Normal roads are different, they need to provide enough grip to stop you sliding off on a bend (assuming you're not in an F1 car with downforce to do this for you) and when you do need to break hard, you'd like them to assist you in slowing down.

And that's Mrs Macadam, jack-ass :P

Indianapolis was a bad example to choose as that surface is tarmac, but it is diamond scored to increase friction.

And racing tyres are slick and soft compounded are also grip measures. Groved tyres were introduced to F1 to reduce grip.

I'm sorry PP, it's just these threads about the road resurfacing are 'wearing a bit thin' now....

Laying the surface in Summer means that the chances of conditions being favourable are higher, British Summers last what, 2 months? I'd be very surprised it the DoT carried out these works with less than 4 or 5 weeks notice, I might be wrong but I doubt they ring Colas and tell them they want the work doing at the end of the week. In which case, I'd be willing to give them a little leeway with regard to ending up laying the stuff on the hotest days of the year.

It's like when you make a picture with glitter at school, you put on the glue, pile on the glitter and shake off the excess. You need lots on to ensure maximum coverage.

The chippings shouldn't be loose, that defeats the object of the whole excercise but for the first few days, while the chippings are settling in and sticking down there is a maximum limit of 15mph in place to ensure no-one starts skidding about on the chippings. Maybe the lack of chippings in places could also be attributed to the number of drivers refusing to stick to 15mph, which is only going to exaggerated the combined effect of fresh bitumen on hot roads.

Years down the line is what I'm talking about, when they put them down and then don't replace them - i.e. Groudle....

You're original post seemed to centre around the problem of yearly resurfacing and loose chippings, I apologise, my ability to read between the lines/your mind are somewhat lacking, it would appear.

I can't really comment on that then, I don't go through Groudle enough to notice the problem. Do you mean where they narrowed the road and raised the curb on the corner by that restaurant? The name of which eludes me at present! If so, isn't there a recommended speed of 20mph there? I can't say for certain, as I said, I rarely go through Groudle. Even if there isn't, it'd be pretty hard to skid on ice/water there anyway, given how much you'd have to slow down on that corner in those conditions. Plus, I'd imagine they'd have to close that road to resurface it, given how narrow and tight that bend is and how big their machines are, closing the whole road for some chippings may be a little extreme, even for the DoT.

Archived