Right Person In The Right Place At The Right Time

Addie

From Manx Radio

A 2 year old boy has been rescued from Peel Breakwater by an off-duty Police officer.

PC Quentin De Backer was fishing with his family in the area, when he heard the child fall 25 feet into the water.

The officer saw the boy's head in the water and noticed he was in difficulty. He jumped into the water and rescued the youngster.

The child was taken to Noble's Hospital but released after a check-up.

It happened at teatime on Wednesday evening.

Well Done PC Quentin De Backer

They need putting in the stocks and pelting with rotten eggs

I take it you know all the facts about this case then?

I don't think it is unreasonable to think that it just may have been an accident.

Probably after the number of accidents involving their use. Remember that programme, 999, that was on a few years ago? They had a feature on there about a child who had one of those wrist type reigns on, its mother was waiting outside a lift for the right floor and junior ran in at the last minute. I'll spare you the detail but aparently the Dr.s were able to save the toddlers arm.

PC Quentin De Backer ought to get a medal for this. It would have been very easy in this 'health & safety' age for him to stand on the quayside and call for the 'correct' procedure, manpower and equipment.

Good on you, fella!

From Manx Radio

A 2 year old boy has been rescued from Peel Breakwater by an off-duty Police officer.

PC Quentin De Backer was fishing with his family in the area, when he heard the child fall 25 feet into the water.

The officer saw the boy's head in the water and noticed he was in difficulty. He jumped into the water and rescued the youngster.

The child was taken to Noble's Hospital but released after a check-up.

It happened at teatime on Wednesday evening.

Well Done PC Quentin De Backer

That's my bro. :)

It's not the first time he's gone to the aid of people in a trouble either.

He does not want fuss and I think didn't really want people to know but I think he deserves some sort of recognition for it. The tide was out when it happened so it's a fair drop to jump off!

He's a star. :)

He knackered his mobile phone and car remote in the process and didn't even mention it to the people concerned as far as I know. That's the sort of person he is.

I think someone is sorting him out another one or something though - it'd be a bit unfair otherwise to say the least!

Well done!!!

Nice to see a "good news" thread!!!!

I beleive the "rescuer" was not on duty at the time, and just did what he did without the aid of work colleagues, so it couldn't really be called a "police resuce".

But very good just the same - Cret, I'm sure you can give your brother a "collective pat on the back" and appreciation from all of us!

Archived