Time For A Come Back For Port Erin's Open Air Lido?

manxchatterbox

There was one in Ramsey, I think it was called "The Talk of the Town" over on the North Prom, but like everything in Ramsey it went to wrack and ruin.

mjm - really good photo:-)

sq - how did you get to hear about the Eden Centre type glass domed roof ? not nsure about the Marina bit but the land reclamation jutting out around the pool would be good....

Brilliant photo mjm where did you get it from?

Last Ten

I was just suggesting an 'Eden Centre' type thing although the idea was thrown up about ten years ago and seemed quite serious. I know the owner has had the place measured and surveyed a couple of years back in preparation for a development of some sort.

The idea previously was to have hotel accommodation there supplied from a marina. This was before marinas as we know them (Douglas) were known on the Island and so there was a lot of opposition.

Incidentally, Port Erin would be one of the largest safest harbours probably in Europe, if the Breakwater had managed to stay up. I am sure the blocks would now constitute sound foundation, having settled there for the past 100 years, and could be built upon quite nicely.

Add to that the facilities the old University building could provide and you have a great proposition.

Unfortunately, as with all things Manx, only the greedy rich people at the top would benefit from such a large project, so reasonably enough the majority say 'no way, we don't want it'.

Apparently Eden Centre plans are in the pipeline. I found some of the designs in Port Erin commissioners office the other day

5kq6.jpg

Ahh.. another plan for the old swimming pool, bring on the investors!

Have lived on the island for 10 years now (wow, doesn't the time fly when one is having fun), and every couple of years there is a "plan" for this ruin.

A couple of years ago planning application was put in to turn this into a scuba diving centre, i belive they did get permission, but to date nothing has materialised, probably due to lack of funding.

Apparently Eden Centre plans are in the pipeline. I found some of the designs in Port Erin commissioners office the other day

5kq6.jpg

Ahh.. another plan for the old swimming pool, bring on the investors!

Have lived on the island for 10 years now (wow, doesn't the time fly when one is having fun), and every couple of years there is a "plan" for this ruin.

A couple of years ago planning application was put in to turn this into a scuba diving centre, i belive they did get permission, but to date nothing has materialised, probably due to lack of funding.

I suspect that Mr McCann was being very clever with photoshop. Before any rumours start there is no new plan for the pool.

Archived