[BBC News]Survey recommends one Manx beach

Newsbot

5.8% of Manx beaches (1 in 17) meets the 'Excellent' standard of 93% of UK beaches?

I wondered how the other 16 beaches rated so clicked the Link to the Marine Conservation Society . No headline announcing the results in their 'Latest News' section, so I did a site search for 'Beachwatch 2006' which was a waste of time.

I stumbled upon the 'Adopt a Beach' section which said:

Beachwatch is an annual nation-wide beach clean-up and litter survey. It takes place once every year, over the third weekend of September. If you want to do just one beach clean and survey in the year, this is the time to do it.

Confused about the date/timing I kept clicking.

The 'Adopt a beach' website was no clearer as to a 2006 survey, or why the IOM results are being published in August with a comparison to the UK result which may not have happened yet. There is however a clickable map to 'Find beaches'

Quote from IOM Beaches

Thankfully I perservered and found that even though the IOM has its own page, 6 locations for the Island are listed in England - North West

Clicking the first IOM link - Castletown had no results, but it did offer to display the results via a link on another website the Good Beach Guide 2006 which opened an alphabetical list of 1200 beaches with a dozen beaches per page. Even though the URL included the string "?=castletown the page opened on 'A'

Couldn't be bothered to click through the pages and there is no 'goto C' option, so did another beach search and Hooray :)Casletown Beach Report Castletown gained a 'Basic Pass' :blink:

If you can be bothered (I wish I hadn't), I eventually found the results page for all 17 IOM beaches is located here

Odd thing is, Derbyhaven is 'Recommended' but Gansey failed, Peel passed but Fenella failed...

Knock yourselves out :icon_bored_now:

Odd thing is, Derbyhaven is 'Recommended' but Gansey failed, Peel passed but Fenella failed...

The passed Peel beach is actually Kirk Michael - somewhat surprised at Fenella as two years ago it won top spot - wonder if it depends on what day they checked and if after a storm as somedays Peel beach has much seaweed on it which is generally quickly removed unlike that near Port Jack.

Ramsey seems quite clean these days and the 'pick your own' mussels attached to the pier have been strongly recommended to me (by a friend !) - I presume the sewage system has been cleaned up.

The passed Peel beach is actually Kirk Michael

Are you reading correctly Frances?

Kirk Michael - Fail

Kirk Michael is a small village to the North of Peel. on the remote North-East coast of the Island. The beach forms part of a very long stretch of Shingle.

Primary discharge local to this beach. Bathers should be aware of sewage contamination.

2004 grade: Failed (caution)

2005 grade: Failed (caution)

2006 grade: Fail (caution - bathing not advised

Peel - Basic Pass

A large. sandy bay backed by the town of Peel and protected by two large breakwaters.

Raw discharge local to this beach. Bathers should be aware of sewage contamination.

2004 grade: Failed (caution)

2005 grade: Failed (caution)

2006 grade: Basic Pass

Not sure about Kirk Micael, but I thought Peel was connected to IRIS at least 3 years ago?

sorry I didn't look on page 2 - assumed the KM was the Peel beach - the times I walked up here there is often drift wreckage above high tide mark but to me this adds to delight of the beach; havn't seen any sewage or other nasties - at certain times of year you are watched by seals who will mirror your journey along the beach.

yes Peel has been on IRIS for some years - possibly after a storm there is trouble but most of time looks fine to me (I can see it every day I'm in Peel) - wonder what agenda MC are working to ?

Each of the Douglas reports advise the there is polution risk from sewerage for 24 hours after storms.

I'm wondering if they are using 'out of date' information in regard to their annual reports.

Date stamps would be nice, but I may have missed them.

Some good posts there Ripsaw, thanks.

At low tide at Kirk Michael and Jurby you can actually walk to the end of the sewer pipe and watch the stuff emanating raw so don't swim there at low water although the water may be a degree or so warmer!

IRIS is a long way off taking in the whole Island.

I often study the displays showing the results of weekly ecoli tests. This year's results seem completely different from other years and I suspect that the tests aren't being taken properly and at the proper times as there are simply too many good results. Maybe next year will reflect this and we will get 93% too, but it seems fiddled to me. :(

The boards I see are on lamp posts opposite Hilton, Broadway and along from Paramount on the Promenade side. There is also one along from the Bay Hotel in Port Erin and other places on the Island.

They show the results for all the Isle of Man and to me they are spurious compared to other years.

A good suggestion.

I would recommend that the manxforums organise a beach Clean-up, and follw it up by a Bar-B-Que or pint in the nearest pub or something. I noticed on another thread that there was some talk of a social do.

I bagsy being the desperate weird bloke, with broken glasses fixed with sticking plaster and a rather bad body odour problem. I also have a pretty rank anorak. These things however will be well disguised on a beach clean-up. So no probs.

Who's game?

Edited to add.

We could make it a theme beach clean up, where we actually all come dressed as desperate computer nerds. It could be fun!!

Better still, how about we clean several beaches and add a regional theme to the proceedings?

Peel, Ramsey, Douglas, one of the southern beaches (Port Erin is a popular forum member hotspot I believe)?

A pint or a BBQ afterwards sounds good tbh.

All it needs is one member with a digicam to record each event and we can pop all the pictures up on the board.

Perhaps a BBQ would be too much organisation at first but it seems a good point to go to different areas though. So Port Erin is the hot spot for subversive manxforum fok is it !

Maybe Fleshwick or Spaldrick would be a good place to start.

It would probably only take a nucleus of ½ dozen folk or so to say they are definitely going to get the ball rolling.

There is an all Island organised beach clean coming up so maybe best to wait until that is over.

Archived