The Election. Does Anyone Care?

Addie

I heard Roy Gough on Manx Radio's Mannin Line on Sunday.

He was commenting that the number of people who were likely to vote in the November general election was extremely low.

I don't know where he found this information but I seriously would like to find out his source. Was it in a local paper or on the radio?

Could anyone please point me towards any on-line articles/features that gave an indication as to how many people are likely to vote?

There was also a hint that the new 16 year old voters this election not being interested in voting.

Further, there was also mention of the extremely low number of new candidates. Why won't people stand?

I would seriously adore seeing Question Time, Any Questions or the Today programme coming here to cover the subject of the election.

Any chance of that do you think?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clear enough.

I'd be interested to know if you would be bothered if your vote were removed from you though.

Maybe compulsory voting should be introduced?

Anyway, I was wondering if it would be possible to contact BBC1's

Question Time

or

Radio 4's

Any Questions

and offer the IOM as a venue to try and stir up a bit more election interest.

I'm very much in the 'don't care' camp. Different MHK's won't make the slightest difference to me so I am not bothered in the slightest who is elected.

Can you share your reasons for not caring? In what way don't it matter to you who is voted in? What if a close friend or a family member had reason to vote for a particular candidate, wouldn't you even vote to support that friend/relative?

Same questions to anyone else in the 'Don't Care' camp :)

I'm voting for the first time this year, along with every other 'don't care' voter I could persuade. That's to try and make someone lose their seat though. I don't actually care who wins, just as long as it's not them.

Can you share your reasons for not caring? In what way don't it matter to you who is voted in? What if a close friend or a family member had reason to vote for a particular candidate, wouldn't you even vote to support that friend/relative?

Same questions to anyone else in the 'Don't Care' camp :)

The politicians in the IoM have absolutely nothing to do with the formation of any of the important government policy they are just there to vote in what the senior civil servants tell them is necessary.

I very much doubt a former taxi driver or shop owner has the first clue what they are voting for when deciding on the corporate tax strategy for the next decade or some other such piece of legislation.

Any important changes in laws are pretty much copy and paste from UK legislation so what difference does it make who votes them in?

I'm giving serious consideration to not voting this year. This will be the first time I've not voted. This uncertainty has been prompted by several threads on here, which have lead to me questioning if there is any point voting in a system that doesn't have party politics and where we don't have any direct or indirect influence over who is the next Chief Minister. Basically, we don't know if we are voting for or against the present administration. So what is the point.

Other than getting shut of Quinton Gill of course.

It is to be hoped that the 16 year olds take the opportunity to vote despite what "addie" reported about Mr Gough speaking on the Mannin Line.

Mr Gough does not comprehend that although the 16 year olds in the main will probably not vote, the IOM has given them a human right to do so if they wish.

Anyone who votes even if it is to get someone out deserves praise.

To vote is a right and all should use it even if they disagree with the constitutional set up.

Change can only come about by the people expressing their views.

That view is through the ballot box.

I wish I could understand how any manifesto would relate to the 'government plan'.

The Government Plan seems to specify policy beyond the election.

Suppose a majority of the MHKs elected oppose policy which has been previously specified in the various specifications which comprise the 'Government Plan' ? How would that work?

http://www.gov.im/government/plan/

I would urge all to 'get involved' and certainly exercise your vote. Presumably this is what Mr Gough was advocating.

If you don't vote because you don't care, perhaps it is because you are not particularly concerned or you are really too comfortable. The next five years may well take the Island outside its comfort zone and have consequences which none of us expect. Always expect the unexpected and so vote to elect candidates and a government which will cope if there is a down turn in the economy leading to social consequences.

I am not advocating that all of the present administration should not be re-elected but there needs to be a reasonable turn over with new people who are committed to representing the people democratically and openly and who are able to tell us the hard truth even when it hurts. So when the candidate turns up, ask him/her what their priorities are and if possible get some idea of how they are likely to respond in the future to situations which are important to you.

I have to say, it's the "don't cares" that really amaze me.

Isn't refusing to vote a denial of one's democratic responsibility? Maybe a 'none of the above' option would help people to cast their vote when no-one seems suitable.

But what also's worrying is the lack of declared candidates, of any persuasion.

"Don't Care" allows anyone else to make your decisions for you.

"Don't Care" can allow the BNP etc to gain seats and therefore a stronger voice. Who would want that?

"Don't Care" can allow the same old, same old, time after time after time.

Don't care means candidates are likely to be elected who represent a miority opinion e.g. BNP. Minority opinion should have a voice but a whole Parliament? No way!

One of the good things about allowing 16 y.o.'s to vote is that they should have studied "citizenship" and also the history of parliament and the importance of casting your vote so that representative opinion is paramount. It may well be a higher proportion of 16 -18 y.o.'s will vote than the rest of the population. If so expect public transport, sport, environment, human rights, education to be top issues.

Archived