The Election. Does Anyone Care?

Addie

Steve Babb. It's not that simple for anyone to be suitable to be an MHK. I can't for many reasons.

Name them. That is the lamest excuse ever against someone who has decided to risk it and stand.

Do you "earn too much money" (bollocks)

Or are you worried about risking it all and not getting in?

If you WANT to stand and feel you have the qualities to get in, and you don't agree with what is going on you HAVE to stand (assuming you have integrity of course)

Well said hboy and thats ok as far as it goes. However, there may be good reasons why an individual might feel it inappropriate to stand for election to the Keys. For example, there are many Nationalists on this Island who would not take an oath of allegiance to the Monarch. I rather suspect some of our best political brains belong to the Nationalist movement and I wonder if there might be a way out of this particular disincentive to participate.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not that simple for anyone to be suitable to be an MHK. I can't for many reasons.

Name them. That is the lamest excuse ever against someone who has decided to risk it and stand.

Do you "earn too much money" (bollocks)

Or are you worried about risking it all and not getting in?

If you WANT to stand and feel you have the qualities to get in, and you don't agree with what is going on you HAVE to stand (assuming you have integrity of course)

Addie should stand, I'd love to see the Fuel Allowance Claim Form.

Regardless though, I'll vouch for her intergrity.

However, there may be good reasons why an individual might feel it inappropriate to stand for election to the Keys. For example, there are many Nationalists on this Island who would not take an oath of allegiance to the Monarch. I rather suspect some of our best political brains belong to the Nationalist movement and I wonder if there might be a way out of this particular disincentive to participate.

It didn't impede Sinn Fein.

its a minor part of the process at the end of the day. If Phil Gawne can do it it ain't that difficult.

However, there may be good reasons why an individual might feel it inappropriate to stand for election to the Keys. For example, there are many Nationalists on this Island who would not take an oath of allegiance to the Monarch. I rather suspect some of our best political brains belong to the Nationalist movement and I wonder if there might be a way out of this particular disincentive to participate.

It didn't impede Sinn Fein.

its a minor part of the process at the end of the day. If Phil Gawne can do it it ain't that difficult.

True. Nevertheless there are several good quality people who find the oath of allegiance a major impediment to standing.

What I dislike is the people that come to the IOM and after being here for a couple of years have the cheek to tell us how we should run things.

Yes there is lots wrong here but you newbies to IOM should fek off with your views until you are established for a minimum of ten years.

Until then, shut the f**k up or go home.

What I dislike is the people that come to the IOM and after being here for a couple of years have the cheek to tell us how we should run things.

Yes there is lots wrong here but you newbies to IOM should fek off with your views until you are established for a minimum of ten years.

and just whom, exactly, on this thread is that lovely sentiment aimed at? B)

Nice xenophobia you're exhibiting James.

Oddly enough, people who come over here and who pay into our tax system, council funds and national insurance are entitled to have a say in how things are run. You don't want to live in a democracy? I'm sure you can get cheap flights to plenty of middle east countries right now.

True. Nevertheless there are several good quality people who find the oath of allegiance a major impediment to standing.

I don't accept that as a genuine reason.

I'm as Manx as they come but an oath of allegience is only a pledge of support, its not getting the Queens initials tattooed on your arse. If this is stopping people coming forward then good. They are the wrong sort of people to stand.

There are lots of different EXCUSES for not being bothered to put yourself to the test.

I don't accept that as a genuine reason.

The problem is, hboy, it isnt you who is the final arbiter.

Clearly there are some individuals who do find it a genuine reason and I believe our political life is the poorer.

I'm sorry. Its an excuse.

I thought about standing this time and of all the excuses I thought of not to bother. Pledging an oath of alliegence was not one of them.

I'm still prepared to toast "The Queen Lord of Mann" at functions etc. I don't mean it but I'm prepared to say it. I don't see an oath as anything different.

[Oddly enough, people who come over here and who pay into our tax system, council funds and national insurance are entitled to have a say in how things are run. You don't want to live in a democracy? I'm sure you can get cheap flights to plenty of middle east countries right now.

I just think that there are too many people who have not lived here long enough who try and tell us how to run things. As I said there is a lot wrong and the political system leaves a lot to be desired.

But it should be sorted by established residents despite those that have just arrived and contributed to the money pot. They are entitled to health care etc. (well I hope they are).

But they should not be entitled to stand for election or vote until they have been here 10 years.

Interestingly one has to have a 10 year residential qualification ship to go on a council house waiting list even if you were born Manx! That is wrong.

There are so many anomalies that need sorting out for all people.

I'm still prepared to toast "The Queen Lord of Mann" at functions etc. I don't mean it but I'm prepared to say it. I don't see an oath as anything different.

That is you. Other people obviously think differently and some see it as an over riding matter of principle.

Setting that aside anyhow, because neither you nor I can dictate matters of conscience to others, I do believe a nationalist partypresence in Tynwald would be a good thing for Island politics. Seems a shame it isnt going to happen.

Maybe a passing Mec Vannin member could let us all know what the score is.

That is you. Other people obviously think differently and some see it as an over riding matter of principle.

Setting that aside anyhow, because neither you nor I can dictate matters of conscience to others, I do believe a nationalist partypresence in Tynwald would be a good thing for Island politics. Seems a shame it isnt going to happen.

Maybe a passing Mec Vannin member could let us all know what the score is.

Principles and politics don't mix. Its an established fact.

Interestingly one has to have a 10 year residential qualification ship to go on a council house waiting list even if you were born Manx! That is wrong.

I'm a comeover and I wouldn't expect to be given a house if I went back to blighty. If you've left the Isle of Man and then decide to come back why should you get a house?

--------

Don't you have to be resident for a certain amount of time before you can vote anyway. I would have thought after that time you have contributed enough to society over here to be entitled to vote and have your say.

I'm a comeover and I wouldn't expect to be given a house if I went back to blighty. If you've left the Isle of Man and then decide to come back why should you get a house?

--------

Don't you have to be resident for a certain amount of time before you can vote anyway. I would have thought after that time you have contributed enough to society over here to be entitled to vote and have your say.

I do not know what the residential qualification is for voting or for standing as a candidate.

But regarding Manx born people coming home from wherever, they need to be here 10 years to qualify for local authority housing.

The exception is if they have served in the armed forces but not their children.

A child born from Manx parents in the armed forces overseas is classed however as a Manx born citizen.

But even the latter is not entitled to go on a council house waiting list unless they have been resident for ten years, but they are exempt from having to have a work permit because in law they are Manx.

This is the whole mess that we are in and it needs sorting out once and for all.

Archived