The Election. Does Anyone Care?

Addie

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I do not know what the residential qualification is for voting or for standing as a candidate.

But regarding Manx born people coming home from wherever, they need to be here 10 years to qualify for local authority housing.

The exception is if they have served in the armed forces but not their children.

A child born from Manx parents in the armed forces overseas is classed however as a Manx born citizen.

But even the latter is not entitled to go on a council house waiting list unless they have been resident for ten years, but they are exempt from having to have a work permit because in law they are Manx.

This is the whole mess that we are in and it needs sorting out once and for all.

Still doesn't really answer my question - If you've left the Isle of Man and then decide to come back why should you get a house? Do you think being born somewhere confers you with an automatic right to a free house?

"Still doesn't really answer my question - If you've left the Isle of Man and then decide to come back why should you get a house? Do you think being born somewhere confers you with an automatic right to a free house?"

I would like to think that any son or daughter who wishes to come back to their homeland is given as much help as possible.

After all we are now giving asylum seekers help at the risk of neglecting our own.

Thats the best answer Ican give you.

I would like to think that any son or daughter who wishes to come back to their homeland is given as much help as possible.

After all we are now giving asylum seekers help at the risk of neglecting our own.

Thats the best answer Ican give you.

The Island certainly doesnt place barriers in front of Manx born people and everyone has a reasonable opportunity of prospering here ..to the best of their abilities.

In contrast we dont give much away to asylum seekers. I had thought the only asylum seeker who had the misjudgement to land up here was thrown into Victoria Road prison, kept there a few months and then kicked out of the Island. [Maybe I have that wrong ..willing to be corrected]

After all we are now giving asylum seekers help at the risk of neglecting our own

We are? Since when?! I'm moving to Australia!!

I was under the distinct impression that the island had an agreement with the UK Government, whereby any asylum seekers that ended up here were sent back to the UK to be dealt with. Asylum seekers are supposed to claim asylum in the first 'friendly' country they come to, which is never going to be the Isle of man unless they sail in from their home country or parachute in. That guy that did end up here was here illegally, too right he should be put in prison. Keep them away from our jobs and women I say!!

(That last part was said in jest btw...)

Back on track.

I think Ans has a good point. Even if you don't like any of the Candidates then try and get rid off the ones who you think have done sod all in the past and vote a newbie in.

Wolfie. Some very good points there. To many to mention but good posts.

William. I returned to the Isle of Man, Manx born,bred and buttered, after some years in Canada. I'd made enough to buy a house on the Isle of Man but could have left all my dosh in Canada and gone on the waiting list for a Corpy house, but didn't. I felt and knew it wasn't right.

However, to my supprise, I found quite a few people who I know have a least one if not more properties, living in Local Authority Housing. So instead of blaming " Jonny Foreigner" for everything, look to the Manx first, sort them out and then ask the question. Untill then, STFU.

QUOTE(Addie @ Aug 29 2006, 05:34 PM)

It's not that simple for anyone to be suitable to be an MHK. I can't for many reasons.

QUOTE(hboy @ Aug 29 2006, 10:38 PM)

Name them. That is the lamest excuse ever against someone who has decided to risk it and stand.

Do you "earn too much money" (bollocks)

Or are you worried about risking it all and not getting in?

If you WANT to stand and feel you have the qualities to get in, and you don't agree with what is going on you HAVE to stand (assuming you have integrity of course)

Do you "earn too much money" (bollocks) - No

Or are you worried about risking it all and not getting in? - No

If you WANT to stand - I don't

* feel you have the qualities to get in - I definately don't

and you don't agree with what is going on - I don't

you HAVE to stand - see * above

QUOTE(Ripsaw @ Aug 29 2006, 11:47 PM)

Addie should stand, I'd love to see the Fuel Allowance Claim Form.

Regardless though, I'll vouch for her intergrity

LOL & thanks (and no thanks) Ripsaw. You standing by the way?

I wish to nominate, in alphabetical order

Chinahand

the fragrant Jack from Laxey (if that person is who I think it is)

LoneWolf and

Ripsaw.

MoBeats. How could you? Or is that the Be Nice to Parents party? ;)

This is the whole mess that we are in and it needs sorting out once and for all.

Too right. I'm fed up with very low unemployment, having 8% higher wages than the UK, much higher benefits for unemployment, incapacity or retirement pension, fed up with the beautiful countryside and (mostly) lovely people. I'm fed up with free buses for children and pensioners, but most of all what pisses me off is such a low rate of income tax and not having to pay £1000 in council tax each year.

It's a complete mess.

When are they going to sort it out?

Archived