Junk Mail 'whistleblower' Suspended

Lonan3

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2332337,00.html

After more than ten years as a postman, Roger Annies was feeling weighed down by the increasing amounts of junk mail he was being told to deliver.

Fed up with householders’ complaints about the avalanche of takeaway menus, credit-card offers, leisurewear catalogues and other unsolicited adverts dropping through their letterboxes, he took matters into his own hands.

Knowing that a simple “No junk mail” notice might not be enough to ward off the unwanted items, Mr Annies, 48, from Barry, South Wales, began delivering his own leaflets, informing residents how they could evade the unaddressed letters and flyers officially known as “door-to-door items”.

As a result he has now been suspended from his job by the Royal Mail Group, for whom junk mail is a lucrative source of income.

Three possible views:

He was fed up having to deliver to every address on his round and wanted an easier life.

He was undermining an extremely lucrative source of income for his employer.

He was informing people about a service offered by his employer.

Sounds like he was doing a public service which was undermining a lucrative business for his employer ... it'll be interesting to see what the fair employement tribunal says! Especially given the meaningless spin on the Royal Mails Web site about working to help cut down unwanted mail!

This DTI link would seem to be helpful in stopping junk mail ... if you are in the UK ... any one know if the IOM Post Office has a similar way of opting out?

Also check out the Mailing Preference Service who seem dedicated to cutting out junk mail.

Todays Daily Mail [sic] has a voucher for its readers that can be filled in and posted off with claim that it will cut down junk mail.

It will not work on the Isle of Man. Here is the IOM Post answer to my question -----

"Thank you for your email & I have been watching the national press coverage regarding this issue with interest!

Unfortunately, we Isle of Man Post do not operate this facility here in the Isle of Man.

We believe that attempting to filter unaddressed mail is impractical. Not all unsolicited mail is advertising material and Isle of Man Post cannot act as a censor in deciding what mail to deliver. We would find opt-out Customers complaining asking where some information is that they have not received.

Customers pay us to deliver their message and we have an obligation to deliver it."

So just keep throwing it in the bin!

John

That's the thing really isn't it? As a paying customer for the service, you'd be mighty peeved if the postie was refusing to deliver it but then again, as a receiver of said unwanted mail, you're peeved too! Plus postie is peeved by having to lug the extra weight around on his round.

Post? Pfft, have these people not heard of email!? The only thing I want to see in my post box is the stuff I've bought on ebay or in magical t'internet shops. Everthing else, in the bin. I will only accept ecards and my bank is online too so no statements, ta muchly! While we're at it, I want all my bills online too, just like my O2 phone bill. Oh, I will also accept new credit cards, which will in turn enable me to purchase more of someone elses old stuff on ebay.

Quite predictably Royal Mail was inundated with people asking to not have unaddressed junk mail delivered as a result of the story ... also quite predictably Royal Mail have been trying to protect their lucrative little earner by attempting to frighten people by informing them that suppressing said mail will also mean they won't receive any important circulars from central or local government ... shock horror as this means that they will miss the next edition of Protect & Survive.

We believe that attempting to filter unaddressed mail is impractical.

So just keep throwing it in the bin!

I've always binned unaddress mail unopened, but I think I'll try sticking it back in the post and then they can have a go at filtering it anyway

Archived