Coming Soon-"the Polish Shop"- Grocery Supplies & A Polish Priest

manxchatterbox

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A real Deli. That would be great. All those salamis, wursts and also the jams and fresh breads.

Can we have West Indian, Indian and proper Chinese as well. Get rid of Tescos and shop for quality and freshness. A real market with fresh, hung meat, not wrapped in plastic, local fish and real cheeses and fresh fruit and veg

No a shop selling english sourced foods would not be racist

And what is the horror of priests from Poland? We have spent long enough receiving them from Ireland, what's the difference

I've had some of the best food of my life in the Czech and Slovak republics and Poland, better than most cafes here and certainly better than Big Macs and Colonels chicken and kebabs.

Last visit to Krakow we had fresh bread with beef dripping and gravy in na "milk" bar ( cheap fast food joint),

less than 50p per serving but filling, and life threatening, but good. It may be basic, it may be different but its original not an american cultural export

I have no problem with a Polish supermarket to cater, not just for the Polish, but it diversifies our choice too, which is all good IMO. I would love more choice of good food.

On a side note. I was at one of the 4* hotels on the promenade for a wedding and when approaching the bar the young Polish chap behind the bar just didn't know how to be a barman. He didn't understand how to serve the simplist of drinks, spoke next to no english (there was literally a large language barrier in explaining which type of glass to use), didn't get to grips with the correct change and never smiled once.

I've probably opened a 'can of worms' and will be labelled a racist. I'm not. I have no problem with employing people from anywhere and in fact welcome it. My problem is with the hotel itself. Why employ someone who clearly can't do the job? I understand it might be cheaper, but a high standard hotel should have a high standard no? This is not an isolated case. Another bar in Douglas had the same problem where the girl spoke very little english and didn't understand the drinks order. I guess this happens all over the UK too and at the end of the day is no biggie, just a small gripe from me.

Edited to add: I've also had shit service from Manx staff too, so maybe it's just a case of poor training/hiring from the establishments. I guess my problem was the language barrier on top of poor service which made it quite difficult to order just 2 drinks. Maybe I need to diversify my language skills.

I've got no problem with this, except, if someone wanted to set up a shop only selling British foods and no food coming from other countries, wouldn't it be classed as racist

No. It would be classed as either 'boring' or 'inedible'!

I've probably opened a 'can of worms' and will be labelled a racist. I'm not. I have no problem with employing people from anywhere and in fact welcome it. My problem is with the hotel itself. Why employ someone who clearly can't do the job? I understand it might be cheaper, but a high standard hotel should have a high standard no? This is not an isolated case. Another bar in Douglas had the same problem where the girl spoke very little english and didn't understand the drinks order. I guess this happens all over the UK too and at the end of the day is no biggie, just a small gripe from me.

Its hard for a post like that not to be viewed as racist but it is a fair point.

To get a work permit they presumably have to demonstrate that can do the job better than or as good as an equivalent manx person can do the job, and if you can't speak english or do anything as basic as bar work its impossible to see who in their right mind would agree to issuing a work permit for a job which is client facing and relies on being able to communicate to get buy.

We have cleaners in our place that are the same. They can't write or speak english so if a floor is slippery after mopping they ain't going to stick a sign up saying so or be able to warn you. I've raised it as a health and safety issue as I've nearly broken my neck once.

You really have to question what the work permit system is doing in these cases, because they can't be looking into the circumstances too deeply.

Archived