The Search Is On For A Bone Marrow Donor

Addie

I have just seen this Manx Radio article and thought it maybe worth mentioning on here. You just never know...

The search is on for a bone marrow donor in the Isle of Man who may help save the life of a young man from England.

Stuart Briggs was diagnosed with Leukaemia last year at the age of 17.

Stuart's brother has been tested but is not a match.

There are no matches at present in the United Kingdom and a wider search around Europe for a donor has so far drawn a blank.

Stuart's father has strong links with the Island's probation service and now family and friends are hoping a potential donor could be found here.

A series of special donor recruitment sessions are being held in Douglas later this month.

Organiser Mary Hulme (audio file attached):

The sessions are on Friday, September 15 at Prospect House in Douglas and on Saturday, September 16 at Noble's hospital.

Further details are available from www.anthonynolan.org.uk - the Anthony Nolan Trust website.

I don't understand the general rule that if you are over 40 and in good health you can't go on the register, but had you joined before 40 you can stay on the register till aged 60. This seems to unecessarily exclude anyone between 41 and 60 who is healthy - or am I missing something obvious here?

Just in case anybody want's to go along but isn't sure where Prospect House is, it's the building between The Prospect Pub and the Job Centre, and session times are 12-2pm and 4-6pm. I'll be popping in on Friday to sign up.

Well I don't know about anyone else but I will certainly be going - who gives a monkeys if its sore or whipes u out for a day, might save some one elses life! I went to the hospital blood clinic reception after a blood test to see if I could get a form for being a blood donor but the fool I spoke to didn't appear to know if it was breakfast or Tuesday and advised me to visit my GP.

I'm going to get a check on my kidneys as well and see if I can give one of them to someone else, I have the same blood type as my mother so if in future I need a kidney back she can give me one of hers! All planned out!

I'm a giver not a taker!

Peeps,

Please all go for it.

The girl who got me to register never made it but got thousands of donors to sign up....including robbie williams and dougray scott.

She was so well known for what she did for the anthony nolan trust that her death was on the news.

Over here when you give blood they can just take an extra sample bottle.

If at any point you could be a match they do a tissue match and i think a medical check to make sure you are fit enough for the op and now the marrow is taken from your femur.......think it was your tail bone area at one point which puts people off!

Go for it.....so worth it!

PS as many guys as pos as they seem to be the best matches for some reason

From Manx Radio:

Superb response to bone marrow appeal

The Manx public are being thanked for their superb response to the call for more bone marrow donors.

Special recruitment sesions were held over the weekend, to try and find a match for 17 year old Leukaemia sufferer Stuart Briggs.

His brother has been tested but is not a match - and a search of the UK and in Europe has so far failed to find a suitable donor.

The search moved to the Isle of Man as Stuart's father used to work here and the family still has connections in the Island.

Organiser of the recruitment sessions and Stuart's friend Mary Hulme says they were overwhelmed by the response to their appeal:

Archived