Motorists Could Pay To Travel Into Douglas....

manxchatterbox

If people lived near to where they work it would be better.

Then you could walk to work and drive hell for leather at weekends.

Are you proposing forced relocation of workers? I likes the sounds of that, fix the supposed housing crisis and the transport crisis in one fell swoop!

I particularly liked the idea of the Monorail and the 'escalator to nowhere' in that memo.

I preferred the idea of having all public transport run by a department that has nothing to do with the Department of Transport, that'll cut confusion and make it easier to co-ordinate an effective and efficient transport strategy. No, wait. Bugger...

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here we are busily trying to link temperature changes to within decades - when history shows they actually take place over thousands or hundreds of thousands of years.

Please keep up - what's happening now is at a faster rate than at any time in history.

You are referring to natural climate change, not man-made. You're not living in denial like the Langness man?

And here's the BBC with something to say Methane bubbles climate trouble.

We're doomed matey.

And here's the BBC with something to say Methane bubbles climate trouble.

We're doomed matey.

The contribution of these lakes is small compared to the IPCC estimate of total global methane production, 600 Tg per year.

More than half of this total comes from human activities, notably farming.

So we need to stop farming as well?

It would make no difference. I used to drive the missus to work in Douglas and driving along the prom you would see people who lived in flats on Queen's Prom, get into their cars and drive to Shaws Brow! I also know one girl who lives in central Douglas precicely 5 minutes walk (and I've timed it) from where she works. She takes the car because she has a company space, although it actually takes longer to drive and park than it does to walk.

It would make no difference. I used to drive the missus to work in Douglas and driving along the prom you would see people who lived in flats on Queen's Prom, get into their cars and drive to Shaws Brow! I also know one girl who lives in central Douglas precicely 5 minutes walk (and I've timed it) from where she works. She takes the car because she has a company space, although it actually takes longer to drive and park than it does to walk.

I'm lucky - by choice. I work at home here in the Swiss Alps or from my mother's home in Glen Auldyn when on the Island. In Switzerland I just do not need a car, on the Island it's handy but not essential.

What with most people entering exiting Douglas at busy times seem to be only one person to a vehicle they should be encouraged to use motorbike/mopeds.

Less congestion

Better fuel consumption

Easier to park

Less wear on the roads

Why do you need a monster 4x4 to drive one person to work? I know it’s a mostly rural island but people are taking the piss!

What with most people entering exiting Douglas at busy times seem to be only one person to a vehicle they should be encouraged to use motorbike/mopeds.

Less congestion

Better fuel consumption

Easier to park

Less wear on the roads

Why do you need a monster 4x4 to drive one person to work? I know it’s a mostly rural island but people are taking the piss!

Is that how you justify not doing the 15min (at the most) walk from yours to work every morning? :P

OK so the fact I work 14 hour days and would like an extra few minuets in bed is causing congestion? Oh yeah I ride a bike so how am I causing congestion?

I wasn't attributing the entire (apparent) problem of congestion to you wideload, no. Merely pointing out that the majority of people who don't walk but could easily, do it because they are lazy. IMO.

walk or at the very least get the bus

I don't drive in unless I absolutely have to - I know we don't have the best public transport ever but coming from Ramsey you don't usually lose that much time on a bus and save yourself a heap of wear and tear and cash

If I lived within a mile or 2 of work I think I'd be physically ill paying £3+ to park a mile from home

Archived