Motorists Could Pay To Travel Into Douglas....

manxchatterbox

Biodiesel only works at 5% content at present. You still get all the CO"

LPG is mineral and produces just as much CO2. Its the other pollutatnts, no NO2, no particulates

See the biodiesel thread

You can also ad 10% water to diesel to make diesel emulsion with lower emissions if you alter your engine. Lots of buses run on it, BP sell it wholesale

It says here LPG can cut emissions by 90%

http://www.sepa.org.uk/publications/sepavi.../green_tips.htm

Who is right and who is wrong.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

90% = less NO2 and particles, but CO2 the site you redfer to confirms, for the one car they quote figures for both petrol and LPG that in terms of grams of CO2 per kilometre petrol is 177 and LPG is 155. That is a 12% saving. It must be soemthing to do with the calorific value of the two fuels.

In fact the paragraph you quote from it carries on to say what the C)2 saving is "The main pollutant, carbon dioxide, is usually reduced by 15-20%."

Contaminants, or defective combustion, apart it stands to resaon that if you burn soething which consists of carbon and hydrogen, ie petrol or LPG you are going to add oxygen so the product will be CO2 and H2O.

Walking to work produces hardly any pollution, costs nothing in fuel or parking, and keeps you fit. Most people who live in the suburbs of Douglas can walk to work within 20 mins.

The rain is a myth. I used to walk to work in Douglas everyday for five years (20 mins) - only getting the bus back when I had did a bit of shopping at lunchtime. I think I got wet about 5 times in all in any one year - and if you are scared of the rain, then if it looks dodgy you can always take the bus. It is often grey in the winter mornings - but not actually raining.

If you walk to work, you will save enough money on parking and fuel to go on a damn good holiday every year...and be slim enough to fit into your clothes and not look like a fat blubbery seal when on the beach.

More importantly, you will see that when walking down Buck's Road toward Victoria Street you will overtake most of the cars and buses you would otherwise be driving or sitting in.

I'd like to see Bikes/Scooters given a bit of a priority, don't laugh! If you go to Bermuda, everyone has a scooter. They're tax exempt there and very cheap to insure to encourage use. The main problem with riding a scooter is cars, if more people rode them, they're a lot less hairy and far safer.

Isn't Bermuda small and flat? Only one car per household allowed as I recall and they don't get rain and wind all the year round like us (eg in our Summer month of August!)

Stookie, Bermuda actually has 5 times the rainfall of Manchester, and is right in the middle of what they call "Hurricane Alley". Bermuda is quite flat, but not that small. With there 20MPH speed limit it takes about an hour to drive end to end. Also, the one car per household thing does not really work. The actual law is one car per land tax number. So what they do is sub divide a large house into a main house and two apartments, rent out the apartments at extortionate figures to expats, and have three cars. There are ways and means around everything.

Slim - scooters are not tax free over there. In fact tax is very high on everything. The other thing is road fatalities. They have had 10 so far this year, mainly bikes. Population is 55,000. The fact is that in Bermuda even with no powerful cars (limited by power to weight ratio), very few 4X4s (considered as a van so can only be used for businesses and agriculture), and a 20 MPH speed limit, you stand a 1 in 5000 or better of being killed on the road each year.

this is stupid.

with all respect to douglas residents.....if you think douglas is congested then you're wrong.

ok...so it snarls up for 15 minutes in the morning and in the evening.

congestion is when you can't move during any point in the day.

i never have any problems driving in douglas. and during rush hour no more than 10 minutes wasted.

parking is a problem however at times.....get a park and ride system going!

the park and ride will work if the congestion charge for peak time access to Douglas is priced appropriately...talk is about £5 a day...during 8am-9am and £2 at all other times - all payable on top of twon centre car park charges...

Park and Ride will be the very expensive option when I pay for all the damage likely to be inflicted on my car by selfish b*stards who can't be arsed to park or open their car doors without banging into others, not to mention the vandals

it's quite obvious what needs to be done to stop congestion in douglas.

a) have the poxy ferry timetable changed so the boats don't dock at rush hours which is total lunacy and someone should be shot for allowing it.

The boat from Heysham is timed to avoid the dreaded Lancaster snarl-up. For much of the day it takes an hour to travel from the docks to the M6, much worse than any traffic jam Douglas has ever seen. What is needed is a Link Road from the docks to the motorway. This has been delayed for 57 years.

Archived