Mercury Music Prize

K.os Theory

So tonite is the Mercury Music Prize, just wondering who people believe will win...

The shortlist is :

Arctic Monkeys

Editors

Guillemots

Hot Chip

I Campbell & M Lanegan

Lou Rhodes

Muse

Richard Hawley

Scritti Politti

Sway

Thom Yorke

Zoe Rahman

I've got a feeling that this year the judges will go for the most commercial and that the Arctic Monkeys will walk away with the prize ( £20,000 and a load more album sales )...

Me personally, I'd like to see Muse get some recognition for the brilliant BH&R.

edited to say televised tonite at 9pm on bbc 4

With you on the Muse thing there dude.

I saw Hot Chip and the Guillemots earlier this year, both very good.

I liked the Editors 'Back Room' album, but as you've said, i think the Artic Monkey's may have it in the bag. They seem to be the 'buzz band' at the moment for a lot of people.

not really heard of the rest tbh.

:D

I only picked up the Hot Chip Album yesterday, it is fookin great. Saw them ( on the TV ) playing at leeds/reading festival and the boys certainly rock...need a few more listens to the album but am loving some of the lirics... " over and over and over and over, like a monkey with a miniature cymbal! " :D

Going by this, Wiki Clicky! the judges haven't always gone with the most commercially successful or, IMO, the favourites. If Arctic Monkeys were to take the prize, I'd like to think it was for more than their commercial popularity. The way they used the internet to market themselves and gain massive support before they'd even released a single, the likes of which hadn't been achieved before with a such a marked success. Then they produced an album that was critically acclaimed and seemed to live up to all the hype that surrounded them. All of which, to me, makes them the best band on the list.

I'd like Hot Chip to win it, they were fhookin great live (i went in with a pretty negative attitude as well, i'd heard them on some radio show and thought they were shite)

However clearly Zoe Rahman is going to win because she's the only one i've never heard of.

Talvin Singh or Roni Size anyone? It seems to be a kiss of death for artists who win it, what's happened to Dizzee Rascal, Ms Dynamite and Anthony and the Johnsons....not heard much of them recently.

Talvin Singh or Roni Size anyone? It seems to be a kiss of death for artists who win it, what's happened to Dizzee Rascal, Ms Dynamite and Anthony and the Johnsons....not heard much of them recently.

Talvin Singh and Roni Size! lol! They were a bit to 'cool' for me I'm afraid. Mercury Music Prize winner or not, if you don't sell records, you don't get very far. Most of the bands on the list are in 1st album territory aren't they, the problem with bands who have great debut albums is the anticipation of the 2nd album, the release of which determines the longevity of a group or artist. The number of 2nd albums I'm glad I haven't bought is almost as long as the list of 2nd albums I'm glad I've bought!

Arctic Monkeys should win because it is the best album. Isobel & Mark is next best (but the best bits are all Mark's and he's American so it shouldn't win.) Then Scritti Politti.

But Muse will win. They're bland and over-emot too much, which is the sort of crud the record industry want us to like.

As good as the album is I don't think Muse should be in there. As you can tell from the other nominees it's meant for small independent bands. You can tell this by the prize money £20,000 wouldn't mean anything to Matt Bellamy and co. from the list I hope Arctic Monkeys get it as it's the best album, however both The Editors and The Guillemots are brilliant.

I thought it was pretty much in the bag, but after watchin the show on TV I'm gonna go and purchase the guillemots, editors and Zoe Rahman albums.

I do believe that the mercury is the most credible award out there at the moment, and if nothing it introduces me ( personally ) to artists and bands that I'd otherwise probably never buy...

Archived