Iom Taxi Fares And Reforms...time For A New System....

manxchatterbox

Celt makes some fair points about plate holders, but you have to remember that these people are in the minority on the Isle of Man.

As I have said on this forum previously, anyone who thinks that driving a taxi is easy money really should apply for a badge and give it a try (My boss is looking to recruit drivers at the moment). My weekly rota gives me anywhere between 60 and 70 hours a week. I earn a good living from this, but when you break it down into an hourly rate you see that it isn't so good after all, and my boss pays much higher wages than the industry standard in this part of the island.

My boss may own all the plates for this company, but he certainly isn't a

lazy fat bastards who own plates and sit on their lazy fat arses and take a cut out off the hardworking guy, who puts the hrs in, whilst they do fuck all but take cash, buy and sell plates, which were initially sold for pounds, and sell them on for a big mark up

He works a lot more hours than me running the company and also puts up with a hell of a lot more stress. If I was to apply for a plate and run my own car I would probably earn less money and put in more hours.

It's very easy to generalise about the industry as a whole, especially if you do not understand exactly how difficult the job can be. I have now been doing it for about 1 year, and have been on the verge of quitting on more than one occasion. I have been puked on, spat at, screamed at, abused and threatened (If I wanted that, I would have stayed married) but I still keep putting the key in the ignition and getting on with it.

Why? Because I enjoy my job. Most of the time.

I honestly don't think the price of taxi's are to expensive

I base this on the price of a pint of lager which ten years ago cost £1.50. Travelling in a taxi back then from the Sefton to my mum's house would cost £3 i.e. the price of two pints.

Nowaday's the same Journey cost £5 which is approximately the price of two pints.

What I would like to know is why no one appears to have taken manxchatterbox to task for picking up a story about Dublin, with prices in Euros and deliberately and obfuscatingly editing it to be silent about the currency and changing the town to Douglas

Talk about dishonest posting!

What I would like to know is why no one appears to have taken manxchatterbox to task for picking up a story about Dublin, with prices in Euros and deliberately and obfuscatingly editing it to be silent about the currency and changing the town to Douglas

MCS always does that. Picking her up on that each time would wear out my keyboard

I didn't think it was.

The debate was about taxi fares. Just not here. A few people picked up and a few didn't.

I went with the plate business because an Irish taxi driver actually told me how much he lost on his "plate" when the liberalisation came in (about £20,000), and that is the reason why the IOM operates as a cartel.

Normally I'd pick MCB up but I thought it was quite a good way of doing it.

Archived