New "cheap" Mt Broadband Capped At 10gb

TomTucker

Brand new, lower-priced broadband and just 10p to talk for up to an hour

Manx Telecom has added a new, lower-priced broadband service to its Manxnet portfolio.

Manxnet Broadband 10GB offers full broadband speeds but with a limit (or `cap`) on the amount of information you can upload or download to the Internet each month.

Priced at just £22.95 a month :o (inc. VAT), it gives users broadband Internet with up to 10 Gigabytes (10GB) of usage a month.

Ten Gigabytes per month is sufficient for most homes where use is not excessive (see table below for an idea of how much you would get for a Gigabyte).

Manxnet Broadband 10GB is available to customers on one of Manx Telecom`s new Choice fixed line tariffs*. As an example of pricing, the combination of Island Choice with Manxnet Broadband 10GB will give customers the following services for less than £1.20 a day:

• broadband on their home telephone line

• all line rental charges

• free evening and weekend local calls**

• cheaper calls to mobiles and UK numbers

And, from September 1, Island Choice now also offers local daytime calls** of up to an hour for just 10p.

Global Choice, the fixed line tariff developed for high-users and businesses, offers calls to local and UK fixed line numbers** for up to an hour for just 10p at all times.

Manx Telecom`s Personal Communication Product Manager, Graham Shimmin, commented:

“The new Manxnet service is a quality broadband service that offers real value for money. Customers will still get broadband speeds of up to 2Mbps, but at a price which is cost-effective for those who surf less.

“We are aware that many of our customers will be worried about higher bills for home utility services this winter and we have tried to reduce charges in packages which have more of a fixed cost element to them.

“For example, Manxnet 10GB, coupled with our Island Choice tariff, offers the peace of mind of knowing that one payment per month will give customers broadband and unlimited local evening and weekend calls, plus daytime calls for up to an hour for just 10p and up to 50% off standard call charges to local mobiles.”

If a Manxnet 10GB customer exceeds the ten Gigabyte `cap` before the end of a calendar month, they will be re-directed to an Internet page advising them of this. They will then have the option of either waiting until the next month`s limit begins, or releasing the cap for that month by paying a charge of £12.56, payable by a credit or debit card via the Internet page.

Manx Telecom`s standard Manxnet Broadband product with unlimited monthly downloads is currently priced at £29.23 (inc VAT) per month. :angry:

* Available to customers on Island Choice, Global Choice and Standard Choice but excludes Low User Choice

** To standard fixed line numbers only, excludes mobile, premium rate numbers, etc.

For information:

Browsing - the average webpage is 30 Kilobytes = 34,952 average webpage visits for 1 Gigabyte

Email – the average text email is 4 Kilobytes = 262,144 average emails sent/received for 1 Gigabyte

Email Attachments – the average size of pictures/documents is 512 Kilobytes = 2,048 attachments for 1 Gigabyte

Software Updates – the average download size is 5120 Kilobytes = 204 downloads for 1 Gigabyte

Music files – the average music mp3 is 4,096 Kilobytes = 256 mp3 downloads for 1 Gigabyte

Films – the average 2 hour film is 1,048,576 Kilobytes = 1 film for 1 Gigabyte

Online gaming – the average online game transfers 15,360 Kilobytes in one hour = 68 hours of play for 1 Gigabyte

Convertor: 1024 bytes in a Kilobyte, 1024 Kilobytes in a Megabyte, and 1024 Megabytes in a Gigabyte.

Are they for real?

I think £12.95 would have been more realistic, this only helps out MT, NB no mention of VoIP bandwidth requirements - what a suprise.

:angry:

Are they for real?

I think £12.95 would have been more realistic, this only helps out MT, NB no mention of VoIP bandwidth requirements - what a suprise.

:angry:

For VoIP, a 60min phone call using VoIP & G.711 you're looking 'around' 250mb. £12.95 isn't realistic considering the "wires-only" charge is £13ex VAT 'before' it even gets to the ISP. So non-telco ISPs can't do it. It's good they're actually offering different products though.

It's good they're actually offering different products though.

agreed but why cant they offer the above for a 512kb service and keep the costs down?

its a saving of £7 per month off your phone bill so its just not worth it and its not cheap enough tempt current dialup users like my parents who value their £ so dont want to waste £115 per quater when they can just wait 2mins more for dial up internet

At uni I pay 90euro (70 something quid?) every three months and get 30Gb cap - recently upped from 18Gb - and have the privilage of a 3Mbps downstream and 512 upstream with plans for another free upgrade from my provided in the next few weeks that should take me to 6Mbps down and 2Mbps up. A mate of mine pays less and gets 10Mbps (I think) and a 60Gb cap, he has had to sell his soul to the ISP however.

Given all this can MT still claim to be a technology leader? I remember they used to tout that alot when they were first introducing Broadband.

agreed but why cant they offer the above for a 512kb service and keep the costs down?

its a saving of £7 per month off your phone bill so its just not worth it and its not cheap enough tempt current dialup users like my parents who value their £ so dont want to waste £115 per quater when they can just wait 2mins more for dial up internet

They wont do 512kb anymore, I have asked about it - MT decision. 512kb is only used when people's ADSL wont sync at 2mb.

Some UK ISPs go as low as 256k, others do 2gb caps, others throttle speed when you exceed a cap, others bill for additional gigs automatically, some use captive portals (like MT) - so many options really. If "Manx Telecom" (Not Manxnet) lowered the price of wires-only then all users would benefit.

I wonder whether many people deliberately share their connections with the immediate neighbours. Given that it's so easy to do.

I wonder how many people inadvertently share their connections with their immediate neighbours. That's when people will see their 10gb cap vanish.

Are many people are interested in capped products?

can you explain further the differences between manxnet and manx telecon please?

ta

ehm this is a tough one. MT are wholesale providers, while Manxnet are retail providers (ISP). The exact details of how separate they are (or not) is beyond me (e.g. if staff are employed by Manxnet or MT, Does Manxnet make a profit or is it MT etc etc). It could just be a trading name. So no - maybe someone else does? Is it a regulatory issue perhaps?

I wonder how many people inadvertently share their connections with their immediate neighbours. That's when people will see their 10gb cap vanish.

There's at least two near me, I suspect my next door neighbours on both sides, both completely open and running default SSIDs. If I plug in a high gain antenna as well I pick up about 5 or 6 more, half of which are completely open.

There's at least two near me, I suspect my next door neighbours on both sides, both completely open and running default SSIDs. If I plug in a high gain antenna as well I pick up about 5 or 6 more, half of which are completely open.

Fortunately the captive portal will stop people getting automatically billed as there's a manual step to purchase more bandwidth. If they did it as some UK ISPs were doing it, Mr John Doe would be getting billed for 150gb of downloads because of his leaching next-door neighbour. I'd be interested to see the terms though. For instance, what happens if you exceed the cap 3 days prior to the end of the month, do you still pay the £12 and does that only release the cap for the remainder of the month? Do you wait?

Perhaps throttling them to 64k once they exceed the cap may be another option.

So the cheap broadband solution is to share it (by agreement) with your neighbours.

Back in the early 1970s we shared a 'party line' with our next door neighbours. So if they were using the phone then ours was engaged. Or you'd pick it up and find they were already using it. Of course, in those days, you only used the telephone if it was really important.

Archived