Another Prominent Forum Member Goes For Mhk

nipper

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL at Phil Kermode's site.

I caught a few minutes of his MR interview at lunch time the other day. Interesting to hear him describe countries such as China 'our enemies'. Nice work Phil.

A bit strange for a man who likes a bit of Thai

Culture, that is.

Heh, another one from Phil Kermodes manefesto:

"Current Government is wasting oceans of cash, I will stop that!"

"I propose The govermnet pay young peoples mortgages for a detached residence in the country and buy their CD's, DVD's and Suberu Imprezza's too!"

Why do they make these promises that involve massive expense, while bleat at the current government for spending to much. If you're going to make a promise that involves expense, why not account for how you're going to fund it?

Yeah spot on Slim.

Another one of his gems, was that he wanted to increase the amount given to young people buying their first house. IIRC they currently get a grant of 25%, which our Phill wanted to increase to...... 'a 100% grant'.

Excellent, let's give everyone a house when they turn 16.

He also stated that he knew of a young 18yr old guy (no surprise there ;) )who had been on the housing list for 5 years? What, since they were 13?

Just a load of bollox, trying to bring out all of the old rhetoric.

A bit strange for a man who likes a bit of Thai

Culture, that is.

I've just laughed out loud so hard someone has come to see if I'm alright! As Addie says - priceless!

And good luck to you Mr A. You seem like a guy with his head screwed on and the motivation to see a job through. I wish you all the best.

And what is the position on Rehabilitation of Offenders and convictions, as far as qualification to stand and honesty is concerned.

At least Phil Gawne is open and honest about his past.

Perhaps we all ought to ask prospective candidates

"whilst I appreciate that you may have no convictions, or be able to claim them as spent , in the spirit of openness and honesty will you like Phil gawen reveal any convictions or cautions you may have had?

and at the same time are you, or have you ever been, a mason or member of any other similar organisation?"

And what is the position on Rehabilitation of Offenders and convictions, as far as qualification to stand and honesty is concerned.

At least Phil Gawne is open and honest about his past.

Perhaps we all ought to ask prospective candidates

"whilst I appreciate that you may have no convictions, or be able to claim them as spent , in the spirit of openness and honesty will you like Phil gawen reveal any convictions or cautions you may have had?

and at the same time are you, or have you ever been, a mason or member of any other similar organisation?"

As far as I am aware they can stand for election to the keys even if they have had a criminal conviction. I think it used to be for town council elections that you could stand if you had a criminal conviction, but only if it had been less than six months or something or was 'spent' in their terms (this may still be the case). I am happy to be corrected on this.

Personally, I don't think it should matter if they have had convictions or not, provided they are honest and open about them. They say that anything up to 10% of people convicted are wrongly convicted of things, so on that basis alone we should not take away peoples right to stand.

I think your questions would best be raised at public speaking events, or given the chance, on radio. It takes guts to ask questions like that and they need to be very carefully thought out and phrased - especially when several people on here may have very specific questions in mind - but IMHO these questions do need to be asked.

Blimey, beat me to it :)

Yes, I'm now officially a prospective candidate for Douglas South, the constituency I live in. A lot of work and planning has gone into this already, and a website is in the works - will post link once it's done.

Lonan: We don't call it Invasion anymore - it was re-branded as "subtle occupation"... :whistling:

There's a surprise.

Hope you lose.

Govt assisted house purchase (eg first time buyer plans and mortgage interest tax relief) represents an upward pressure on or support for existing or rising property prices. Govt assistance reduces downward pressure on prices at the start of the market.

These Govt schemes maintain property prices even in a market which would otherwise fall because of unaffordability.

Ditto rent assistance / housing benefit etc.

Leave it to the market other than in the rare cases of extreme poverty - where social responsibility is the greater and important issue.

The greatest downward pressure on property prices (in an unsupported market) is unaffordability relative to income. So leave it to the market.

Archived