Another Prominent Forum Member Goes For Mhk

nipper

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...and the large interest it has created already makes hope for good things to come out of it.

Never assume the interests of 20 posters on MF equates to a large interest in the general population.

Totally differnt audience IMHO.

I agree Albert. I talk to a lot of people about political and related matters. In the last 12 months possibly 10 people have mentioned Manx Forums and usually they are people who are visitors living elsewhere in the world.! So a lot of work is needed to get to know your constituents on the doorstep.

...and the large interest it has created already makes hope for good things to come out of it.

Never assume the interests of 20 posters on MF equates to a large interest in the general population.

Totally differnt audience IMHO.

Not exactly what I meant - I was more referring to the general interest you seem to suddenly feel all across the Island - people that might not have been very interested in politics before are suddenly looking up and starting to take more of an interest, with the constant news reports about new developments in the run up to the elections playing a big part in this.

I don't really like to use the word "Buzz", but there seems to be one developing at the moment - not only on MF, but Island wide and across all constituencies, ages and social classes - this is only my opinion, though...

Oh I don't know, I think there are more people taking note of what gets said here than you think.

I think you're right - MF has been known as a place to find the real news in the past (and present), and many a great story came up here first, with the news people reading the forum as well, as I think most people will be aware of. But there are still loads of other people out there that might not even have heard about it, so both, the "On" and "Offline" world are equally important, IMO.

There was a fair amount of interest in the One World Centre International Question Time this evening.

It will be broadcast on Manx Radio this coming Sunday at 12.05 p.m. in the Sunday Opinion programme.

The next Manx Radio election broadcast will be at Maughold but I don't know when.

Never under-estimate the man in the street.

He has an IQ of <=90, reads the Examiner/Courier occasionally, is not on MF, and has little knowledge of computers. Don't confuse the 'buzz' of the papers or Manx radio or your interest in current affairs with what the 'man in the street' is actually thinking. He is often concerned with far different issues, many of which have not appeared on here (yet) - but which may in around five years as more and more people get on-line. There may be 2000 members on here compared to 300 members 5 years ago - but always remember that only a relative handful are active on MF at any one time.

When you look at it, on average 20 people on here may comment on 'a major issue'. The man in the street is 100's if not a 1000's of people. He gets the chance to vote once every five years - and will make his decision on only 1 or 3 issues that directly affect him at the time.

'Normal Distribution' stuff - i.e. 68% of the population do what the government and newspapers tell them to do and think how they tell them to think.

It might be sad - but nonetheless it's true.

If you want to win - get door knocking and listen to the real issues.

full marks for having the guts to stand up and have a go, but lets face it - you got no chance.

you have to know how to connect with the powerful voters - the bulk of the turnout was pully and anaghcoar in 2001 - how will you connect with them, do you know what the issues are? the day to day problems that are faced?

you'd have been better standing in Douglas East - the profile of the electorate is more up your street - Dglas South, you'll be bottom of the poll. If it's not too late, change it and good luck.

Oh I don't know, I think there are more people taking note of what gets said here than you think.

rubbish, cloud cuckoo land. nobody with any sense takes notice of anon people sniping from the shaddows, thats why the newspapers stopped putting in letters witholding names, stand up, show your face and be counted and then people at least give you a fair hearing.

Archived