Clean Up The Island - Well Not All Of It

slinkydevil

Douglas beach is so, so stinky when it's covered in all that crap, what else can they do with it though? I see what you're saying, pushing it back in the sea only means it's going to get washed up again in the next high tide but I wouldn't want them bringing it in! Driving around with a stinky cargo of rotting sea weed, leaving a visible trail of putrid stench in its wake. No siree! Plus they'd have to do it after almost every high tide, which would be more expensive and wouldn't solve the problem, better to push it back I think!

Douglas beach is so, so stinky when it's covered in all that crap, what else can they do with it though?

I've been informed that seaweed makes great compost.

Come on some entrepreneur could be onto a potential goldmine here...

"Containing levels of nitrogen, phosphate and potassium similar to those present in farmyard manure, seaweed also supplies many other essential plant nutrients including trace elements, minerals, vitamins, amino acids, plant hormones and carbohydrates. Farmers and gardeners have long since appreciated its virtues, applying it directly to their land where it makes an excellent fertiliser and soil conditioner. Traditionally seaweed is dug into the soil in late autumn and winter. Here it decomposes slowly over the winter and is taken down by earthworms, conditioning the soil and providing a good supply of nutrients for Spring crops. However, you don't necessarily need to dig your seaweed in. Seaweed also makes an excellent mulch, if you prefer to use no-dig methods in your garden. And if placed in a layer about 4-6 inches deep, a mulch of seaweed helps to control weeds as well as supplying valuable nutrients to your plants."

I suppose it's natural that living on an island people immediately think of beach cleaning but when I walk around I see plenty of places in towns and elsewhere that are full of rubbish and need cleaning.

If you 'organise' a beach cleaning I think you might be responsible for what happens to the people involved and if anyone gets injured etc you would be personally liable. You have to know what you are doing.

I would think there's plenty of litter around the Isle of Man to keep people busy for a couple of hours on the Saturday or Sunday of Clean up the Island.

I think beaches aren't included so they don't tread on the toe's of the Marine Conservation Society:

"Saturday, September 16, 2006

Annual event to clean up the Isle of Man's beaches

Annual beach cleaning event organised by the Marine Conservation Society. Help clean up beaches on the Isle of Man and have fun as well. Contact Dru Leoidsson on 01624 825903 for details.

Go to www.goodbeachguide.co.uk and click the Isle of Man map for details of beaches on the Isle of Man"

Marine Conservation

• 2 weeks later...
I would hazard that beach cleaning is probably the only really significant think we can do, because generally the Island is quite tidy. But look at some beaches; full of others' waste. Hardly seems worth doing anything about that as the next storm will just wash up more detritous!

I hope you all had a go.

I understand the main problem with beaches this time of year is the possibility of explosives/phosphorus being washed up - a common occurrence. But there is nothing to stop people doing a beach clean themselves, it was just that Zero Waste Mann were advised not to at this time of year, I understand.

because generally the Island is quite tidy.

Tidier than some places across I suppose, but not tidier than most European countries. When you stick your Litter Head and Litter Glasses on, you see lots. It is not good.

I did the Groudle Road between Lakeside and King Edward Road this afternoon, a few hundred yards long, and got two full black bin bags of litter. Every road is the same as far as I can see. And from the content, most of it has obviously been thrown from car windows.

**What sort of people do that?

So it is not just the beaches. It is everywhere.

And for MCB - this was not a Government initiative to save money - it was the all the efforts of a well intentioned charity and people who care about our environment.

I hope the Government can follow their example soon.

**Seem to be a fair proportion of Special Brew drinkers, MacDonalds gourmets and Shoprite customers.

Archived