[BBC News]Fast ferry services start again

Newsbot

Are they planning on running that little piddly boat over the winter like last year?? It's too small and unstable for the winter seas, a force 6 resulted in waves coming up over the boat in the cross wind exiting the Mersey. I had a LOT of unhappy sailings on that boat last year. I loathe it! And it has no plug sockets in the passenger lounges so I can't use my laptop for the whole journey (a minor point I know but I really just don't like that stinky little tub).

Sea Express 1, max wave height 3.5m

SSC2 max wave height 3m

I assume SSC2 will be back as soon as they get the g/box fixed, just wondering why it took so long to get SE1 back out to cover, or was it just the capacity of SSC2 they needed for the MGP period ?

(feelslikeitshould: how long do laptop batteries last without mains charging ? )

(feelslikeitshould: how long do laptop batteries last without mains charging ? )

Dell's last about 2.5 hrs at most. Pain in the arse when travelling on the Seacat and wanting to work. Worth getting an extra battery though!

If you are travelling in the UK by train go for Virgin Trains (who have power points) and keep away from Central Trains who generally don't (and don't turn up on time either - on average out of 10 Central Trains trains I've had - 2 on time, 1 broken down then cancelled, 5 late, 1 broken down and stuck on it for 2 hours before they cancelled it, and 1 crashed into a bridge).

Dell's last about 2.5 hrs at most. Pain in the arse when travelling on the Seacat and wanting to work. Worth getting an extra battery though!

If you happen to travel on Seacat Isle of Man (or Sea Express 1, as it's called now) in the near future, there are quite a few sockets on the main passenger deck (the main seating area in the middle) - I know because I worked on it in the past.

Just be quick when you're boarding and have a look around, plenty of juice to be had for your laptop without having to upgrade to "First" or "Blue Riband" - grab a seat on the outside (centre deck) or inside (port and starboard wings) and you should easily be able to plug into the mains.

Not sure about SSC2, though, as I never worked on it, never travelled on it, and never will...

If you happen to travel on Seacat Isle of Man (or Sea Express 1, as it's called now) in the near future, there are quite a few sockets on the main passenger deck (the main seating area in the middle) - I know because I worked on it in the past.

Just be quick when you're boarding and have a look around, plenty of juice to be had for your laptop without having to upgrade to "First" or "Blue Riband" - grab a seat on the outside (centre deck) or inside (port and starboard wings) and you should easily be able to plug into the mains.

Not sure about SSC2, though, as I never worked on it, never travelled on it, and never will...

A handy hint - cheers for that.

so how long is the crossing time on SE1 ?, about 2.5 hrs ?

You've not obviously not travelled on it recently - average 3.5 hours at the moment.

You've also got the 'get on it 45 mins before it sails' and the 'wait 20 mins before you get off'. Either way I usually end up an hour short of power.

A handy hint - cheers for that.

If I remember it right, there should at least be 4 or 6 sockets on the main deck, all in the skirting boards on the outside - basically, in the bit that seperates you from the lower seating area (wings), and taking that they haven't changed the layout too much (haven't seen her since the refit), there should also be sockets next to the "horse shoe" seating areas when you enter the main passenger deck + there are some in the bar area and on the mezzanine deck - just have a look around, plenty of juice to be had on that vessel....

On SC IOM? Yes, around 2.5 hours - we usually managed to arrive very much on time on the majority of sailings, unless the Irish Sea had other plans. That was mainly down to the splendid work the engineers and bridge crew put in, though - thumbs up there, and I still have an awful lot of respect for them, as they are certainly doing a very good job and are very dedicated to it (work on board and forget your muster duties once to find out what I mean :) )

I know that SSC2 had a lot of problems recently, but whatever you do, please don't let it out on the people on board - I was one of them a few years ago, and there is not much they can do about it - they can't make you catch your train if there's a force 9 outside or if the gearbox gave up - write to head office, they have people that get paid to reply to you - the crew is mainly there for your safety and comfort, and quite literally, they're sitting in the same boat vessel...

My laptop has a cheap-ass battery in it because I use it more as desktop than on the move, I bring it home every time I come back for uni though and like to catch up with Lost of watch a dvd, I mean, do important uni work... :blink: Last time I used it without power it lasted 1hr, just.

I'm often first on the boat over winter and even if I'm not there's loads and loads of places to sit with access to the powerpoints I managed to locate. The SSC2 has a double plug socket on each side of foreward end of the quiet deck, on the stair walls that go up to the viewing gallery thing. With regards to the SE1, the bar seating is always first to go and I don't really like sitting there anyway because it's stinky and noisy and there's always some drunken numpty making an arse of himself! I'll have a good look around the main cabin next time I'm on and it's quiet. Thanks for that Amadeus!

You've not obviously not travelled on it recently - average 3.5 hours at the moment.

You've also got the 'get on it 45 mins before it sails' and the 'wait 20 mins before you get off'. Either way I usually end up an hour short of power.

(the reference was to Sea Express 1, not SSC2)

I only did 6 return trips on SSC2 last year (2.5 hrs) and 3 so far this year (before the g/b failure), so not been on it all that much really.

When going to l/pl on the early sailing, after you find seats, read the paper and have a coffee and a doze to catch up on the early start you're nearly there.

On the return it's usually nice to just relax and have a snack after dashing about motorways all day.

I assume SSC2 will be back as soon as they get the g/box fixed, just wondering why it took so long to get SE1 back out to cover, or was it just the capacity of SSC2 they needed for the MGP period ?

Sea Express 1's main certificates expired in April - the reason she wasn't around in TT, beacuse some of the expired certs were her mid life ones, refit costs I think were going to be about £1 million give or take, and was "not worth it"

I imagine its been made worth it, SSC2 is going into dock for a quite a while I hear......

My laptop has a cheap-ass battery in it because I use it more as desktop than on the move, I bring it home every time I come back for uni though and like to catch up with Lost of watch a dvd, I mean, do important uni work... :blink: Last time I used it without power it lasted 1hr, just.

I'm often first on the boat over winter and even if I'm not there's loads and loads of places to sit with access to the powerpoints I managed to locate. The SSC2 has a double plug socket on each side of foreward end of the quiet deck, on the stair walls that go up to the viewing gallery thing. With regards to the SE1, the bar seating is always first to go and I don't really like sitting there anyway because it's stinky and noisy and there's always some drunken numpty making an arse of himself! I'll have a good look around the main cabin next time I'm on and it's quiet. Thanks for that Amadeus!

you married him

Archived