Did You Know?

ccm

According to Government figures 25,000 residents of the Isle of Man watch the TT races.

That's leave their home or workplace and go and watch the bikes from somewhere on the course.

Per race day. Not a total of the whole week. But on each race day

Seems an unbelievable figure to me

http://www.iomtt.com/forums/thread/62979.aspx

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...According to Government figures 25,000 residents of the Isle of Man watch the TT races.

That's leave their home or workplace and go and watch the bikes from somewhere on the course.

Per race day. Not a total of the whole week. But on each race day...

[/url]

Just imagine the size of the demonstration when someone suggests banning it then :D I think you'd be talking 100,000 people (residents and visitors).

According to Government figures 25,000 residents of the Isle of Man watch the TT races.

Per race day. Not a total of the whole week. But on each race day

Seems an unbelievable figure to me

http://www.iomtt.com/forums/thread/62979.aspx

Looking towards TT2007, I think that figure will quite certainly be exceeded - last year's TT did seem quite well attended, though - loads of people everywhere, so I kind of think that figure of 25k per race day is possible.

Having watched the MGP races over the last weeks, I did notice that they seem to be a lot more quiet than the TT this year - and I mean a lot more - plenty of space at QB, the Creg and all the other places I went - quite nice, actually..

Other than the local bikers themselves, I struggle to find many locals who are actually interested in the racing. They all seem to say the same kind of thing - "I'm not interested in the bikes...but I love the atmosphere."

I'm afraid these figures are even less reliable than those for the 'record number of (invisible) tourists we get each year.

25,000 people is roughly 2 and a bit persons per yard all around the TT course. Quite possible I suppose given the crowds at various spots on the course.

Since racing goes on all day usually, always remember that a lot of local people pop out and watch a 'couple of laps' and are replaced by others popping out to watch a different 'couple of laps' throughout the day.

Also you can sometimes see the bikes on the screen at Bushy's - so does that count too (hic!)?

How do they know? That would be 2 and a bit residents all around the course!

Did they go around the whole course seeing who is a resident and who isn't and taking names so they don't count the same person twice? LOL Does my household count because it's within view of the end of my garden (we didn't)?

Utter bollocks to try and justify the incredible cost of this to the taxpayer IMO

How do they know? That would be 2 and a bit residents all around the course!

Did they go around the whole course seeing who is a resident and who isn't and taking names so they don't count the same person twice? LOL Does my household count because it's within view of the end of my garden (we didn't)?

Utter bollocks to try and justify the incredible cost of this to the taxpayer IMO

Incredible cost to the tax payer? Interesting thought. The marshals are voluntary, The majority of the prize money is sponsered, the air med is all from donations, Where is all this cost to the tax payer?

Your houshold may not have watched (although I'll bet at least one did watch some of it), 100% of my household watched as much as we could.

It beats boring stuff like F1 anyday. :rolleyes:

Of those who aren't working, a huge percentage are kids too young to look afterthemselves, people looking after them etc.

It's not like two thirds of the population are sitting around with nothing to do all day, and then half of them watch *all* of the races. It's bollocks.

No it is not like 2/3rds of the population are sitting around with nothing to do all day, but for about 1/3rd the answer is yes.

What about the other faction - local racers and their support crews? that is probably about another 500. Or how about mothers taking their kids to see the race rather than watch their little darlings beat each other's heads in. Pensioners looking for a change of scene rather than play cribbage and bingo all day. 25,000, 1/3 of the population, is not that many.

Where is all this cost to the tax payer?

Going BANG!! WHIZZZ!! PHUT! as lots of pwetty fireworks light the sky.

Going WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE look at the clever airplanes mummy they made a heart shape!

Going oh look Steve Colley - again.

Oh look a quad with a jet engine on that fires up and is loud - again.

etc.

It's not all free.

Where is all this cost to the tax payer?

Going BANG!! WHIZZZ!! PHUT! as lots of pwetty fireworks light the sky.

Going WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE look at the clever airplanes mummy they made a heart shape!

Going oh look Steve Colley - again.

Oh look a quad with a jet engine on that fires up and is loud - again.

etc.

It's not all free.

No it is not all free, and it has nothing to do with racing!

Archived