Blair To Resign

Chinahand

So our dear leader is at last admitting time is running out.

BBC Clicky

Tony Blair will announce later he will be stepping down as prime minister within the next 12 months, Downing Street has confirmed.

It follows 48 hours of bitter feuding and a string of resignations over Mr Blair's refusal to name an exit date.

Mr Blair's official spokesman said: "The prime minister is very well aware of what the public must be thinking and will reflect that."

He said Mr Blair would not be giving a running commentary" on dates but was "very comfortable with what [environment secretary] David Miliband set out on Tuesday and will also reflect that".

Downing Street has rejected suggestions a deal had been struck to hand over power on 4 May, three days after Mr Blair notches up 10 years in power and the day after local elections.

I have a grudging respect for the man, but the idea that he can proceed around the country appearing on Blue Peter and cheered for all the good works he's done is just so farcical!

He's divided the nation, embarked on Foreign policies which have isolated the UK internationally and seriously affected our international reputation.

Whether he's just been lucky with the economy, or whether he and Mr Brown are such wizzes I don't know, but if there was a down turn ... then Mr Blair's legacy would be very little indeed, IMHO.

He's divided the nation, embarked on Foreign policies which have isolated the UK internationally and seriously affected our international reputation.

Thatcher was elevated to the Lords for pretty much the same thing!

Thatcher was elevated to the Lords for pretty much the same thing!

I've a grudging respect for her too! But she about turned the economy, while Blair's just kept a steady ship.

Sooner the better as far as I am concerned. All we need do now is wait till 2008 for Bush to go - and then we can start attempting to put the world back together, reclaim some of our lost civil liberties and attempt to end these stupid religeous crusades (on both sides).

With Blair going it will be interesting to see how the 'special relationship' develops and the consequences for US?UK foreign policy and Dubya. Hopefully after 2008 it will lead to more 'jaw jaw', more agreements to 'agree to disagree, but live in peace' and a higher level of respect for the UN (though I doubt it). IMHO, we are going to need a high standard of politician to achieve this - not Gordon Brown. Sadly, I can't think of any labour MP of that calibre anymore - Robin Cook died.

I would not be proud of my legacy if it had been driven by falsehoods and propaganda, was ill-thought out, led to the deaths of nearly 100,000 people, not even achieved any of its stated objectives - and continues to waste British lives.

On the domestic front, all I know is that it is more expensive to live in the UK than ever before, though I think handing control of interest rates to the Bank of England has done more for the economy than anything Blair has ever done. Also that the UK is at a higher risk of terrorist attack than it was in 2001 (even, as has been proved, from it's own people) and that racial tension has risen significantly. They've even got the local neighbourhood watch in the UK attending lectures on terrorism now.

IMHO, it has been sad that Blair has wasted a golden opportunity. He might be remembered for turning the Labour party around and getting it elected, but I will remember him for chaos, attacking civil liberties (and building the foundations of a police state), a Thatcherite agenda (even bullying many of his own elected party members) and Walter Wolfgang getting thrown out of his conference. Much of his agenda has found its way into Manx legislation.

Blair wasn't there to serve Labour, he was there to serve us. Good riddance!

when the terror attacks started he had the brilliant opportunity to keep Britain as that nation who linked with the east so well - a throwback to imperial times and be a bridge for east and west diplomacy

instead he just blidly followed Bush and sent us down a road of being a huge target

Whether he's just been lucky with the economy, or whether he and Mr Brown are such wizzes I don't know;

He's just been lucky.

It's practically unheard of for any UK government to win an election at a time of economic boom and prosperity. All Brown has needed to do is keep a buoyant economy from going into recession (which he has just about managed, although it has teetered on the brink a couple of times).

Blair was also exceptionally lucky that the Conservatives elected two hopeless leaders in succession and stood on one of the most ridiculous manifestos in living memory back in 2001.

Added to that, the Liberal Democrats, who could have been a real thorn in his side, chose to cosy up to him (much like the wimpish kid at school befriending the biggest bully) because their former leader Paddy Ashdown imagined he might get a Cabinet post out of it.

But their luck has finally run out now, and not before time.

Archived