Women Of Mann

Moghrey Mie

It is a bit strange that few women stand, especially as there are generally no 'party selection' procedures involved here. This would make interesting study - as in the UK they tend to blame the men for not selecting them, which suggests other reasons for them not getting involved.

I am a great believer in - the more women get involved in politics, the less crap there will be in the world (I don't believe that M. Thatcher was really a woman so she doesn't count).

• 4 months later...
I think roughly half the population of the island must be female-maybe even more because women survive longer than men. So where are the women candidates in this election? Lots of fellows seem to fancy their chances.

I worked on an outer Scottish Island for a few months. A survey was commissioned to find out how many men and how many woman there were. After a couple of weeks of the local council sifting through various papers and knocking on many doors and asking lots of questions without getting too much nearer an exact answer, they gave their conclusion to the committee "We have established that, on average, the people on this Island have got one ball each".

Yes, there do not appear to be any dynamic young (ish) female sitting members, let alone candidates. Can't understand why, unless its because the masons don't allow women in!

Oh, the masons allow women in alright. The 'lady' freemasons is a mighty, mighty, powerful and talkative bunch. Dinnae cross them.

we just don't hav the testosterone.....and when it comes to the cruntch why bother fighting and getting smacked on the nose when you can spend your money and time better looking at Jimmey Choo shoes...more exciting than sad old flacid guys in the Tynwald Chamber....

Slight case of gender confusion, MCB?

Maybe there needs to be an independent pressure group to:

lobby for more women candidates at all senior levels of manx government - especially politicians,

mentor potential candidates and

organise events for women thinking of standing for office etc.

- does such a group exist?

lobby for more women candidates at all senior levels of manx government - especially politicians,

I haven't heard of one. But it is something that needs to happen. It would make a good subject for a student thesis.

Maybe PAG would be interested in it too.

Fawcett did some research in 2000 analysing local authorities. They found only 26% of women on councils but women were more likely than men to use council services.

"Losing Out Locally -women and local government by Becky Gill

IOM govt is only interested in patronising Woman of Man Festival.

I haven't heard of one. But it is something that needs to happen. It would make a good subject for a student thesis.

Maybe PAG would be interested in it too.

Fawcett did some research in 2000 analysing local authorities. They found only 26% of women on councils but women were more likely than men to use council services.

"Losing Out Locally -women and local government by Becky Gill

IOM govt is only interested in patronising Woman of Man Festival.

Perhaps a start would be to ask PAG, Labour Party, Liberal Vannin party to post on this thread their policies for increasing the proportion of Manx politicians who are women.

Does the manx government have a 'minister for women' and/or a women and equality unit? If not - how do they address comparable issues in the isle of man?

For the UK equivalent see: http://www.womenandequalityunit.gov.uk/about/ministers.htm

Archived