Biodiesel

Amadeus

Thanks for your interesting reply Phil.

My current vehicle is an early 2004 (manufacture date) Golf TDI which was first registered late 2005. AFAIK (but I'm going to check with VW when I get back to the UK) - mine is a VW which is supposed to be okay for B100. I'm aware that the doubt over newer models may relate only to longer term testing and their uncertainty over servicing intervals etc.

AFAIK so far from the web it was mid 2004 that VW dropped warantee support for B100 (previously they were recommending B100). Some say that this only related to uncertainties over the quality of fuel production.

That said - I need my relatively decent car to work properly when I'm abroad - which is why I'm tempted to buy a cheap high mileage diesel car for the IOM only. Also - I'd quite like a cheap high mileage older vehicle to tinker with. Since I'd like to learn more about supporting my own diesel vehicle.

So I'm tempted to buy an older diesel vehicle and run it on veg oil. Very interested to read your information posted re duty payable on straight veg oil. Since I understood that HMCE had recently decided that only officially produced biodiesel would be taxed at the lower rate.

All that said - your Laxey price for cheap diesel looks good.

EDIT: kind of pissed off that I sold my old Pajero since by all accounts they run great on butter!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:D Just to let everyone know we'll be open for business on Thursday 5/10/06 from 3 p.m.; selling B100 biodiesel at £0.95 litre.

Thanks,

Phil

I ain't got a diesel but that seems to be only be fractionally cheaper than 'proper' diesel. Personally, for the sake of 5p (or whatever it is) I'd stick to what my engine was actually designed to run on.

Good luck anyway.

So I'm tempted to buy an older diesel vehicle and run it on veg oil. Very interested to read your information posted re duty payable on straight veg oil. Since I understood that HMCE had recently decided that only officially produced biodiesel would be taxed at the lower rate.

I looked into veg oil. From what i remember the VAT position is a bit of a nightmare and whilst customs were helpful, for the mileage I do the paperwork was a turn off. You have to mix the oil with a small amount ethanol I think which is where the VAT point triggered (I think).

Best are older Mercs. A good diesel Merc 190, 200 or 300D anywhere up to about 1991 will apparently run a veg oil mix without major hardship, all you do is need to keep the filters clean.

I ain't got a diesel but that seems to be only be fractionally cheaper than 'proper' diesel. Personally, for the sake of 5p (or whatever it is) I'd stick to what my engine was actually designed to run on.

Many recent diesel vehicles (check the manual) have B100 specified in the manual as a designated fuel. IE the vehicles are warranteed to run on B100.

Worth remembering that Rudolph Diesel actually designed his engine to run on peanut, rather than mineral, oil.

AFAIK it's modern injection systems, rather than the actual engines, which may demand some caution. I reckon that vehicles which won't run happily on B100 will soon seem out of date and troublesome.

Archived