Peel Road, Douglas - Road Works

manxchatterbox

It'll be done, they're still working now you'll be pleased to know and just think - when they're finished the road will be better and a granny might not catch her heal, fall and die! etc

And as to the "why cant they start Saturday morning and work all weekend" comment - even DOT workers have the right to a weekend you selfish twat!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kewaigue ? - around the ring-road

Busses can't take an alternative route, and I am told that the end of the queue was at Pulrose Bridge this morning

South Quay was totally locked. everyone thought they were being clever going South via the Quay and the queue was back over the Swing Bridge.

There is no traffic policy on this Island at all.

Its not the road workers' fault though.

..had a look at teh new surface on the way home...its different from the previous which was a tar coating some 3 inches thick with what looks like granite chippings rolled into the surface.. the new stuff is just tarmacadam.....so going by what they did recently on the way to the Dhoon there will be another surface needed a tar and chippings top coating to seal the surface and provide better grip...so more disruption nad delay...When was the previous surface laid it seems to have lasted a long time - any bets on how long the new one will last?

And as to the "why cant they start Saturday morning and work all weekend" comment - even DOT workers have the right to a weekend you selfish twat!

A DoT weekend is over 1400 mandays. There must have been at least 10 people willing to work, with most of us accepting they would be paid overtime, to help minimise the disruption.

Edited to add: 3000 people queing ten minutes = around 68 mandays

think that's a bit harsh! :blink: and if you got your facts right the dot do work weekends and get days of in the week.

they usualy do major road works at weekends, you know, the time of the week when it's quiet and less likely to disrupt motorists.

tool.

..had a look at teh new surface on the way home...its different from the previous which was a tar coating some 3 inches thick with what looks like granite chippings rolled into the surface.. the new stuff is just tarmacadam.....so going by what they did recently on the way to the Dhoon there will be another surface needed a tar and chippings top coating to seal the surface and provide better grip...so more disruption nad delay...When was the previous surface laid it seems to have lasted a long time - any bets on how long the new one will last?

was not Peel Road and the Promenade an asphalt surface rather than tarmac ?, they were certainly different to the general road surface used around the parish.

I cheered when they dug up a lot of Peel Rd. a few years ago, and all the dips where the drains were, where you used to test your shock absorbers, were all dug up, but they put them all back again Arrrgggghhhh !

was not Peel Road and the Promenade an asphalt surface rather than tarmac ?, they were certainly different to the general road surface used around the parish.

I cheered when they dug up a lot of Peel Rd. a few years ago, and all the dips where the drains were, where you used to test your shock absorbers, were all dug up, but they put them all back again Arrrgggghhhh !

asphalt...that's the word I was looking for....how comes they don't use that anymore??

asphalt...that's the word I was looking for....how comes they don't use that anymore??

Trinidad Lake Asphalt - I think maybe that was more flexible than tarmac, is most of Peel Road built on mashy ground maybe subject to subsidence ?, it was boiled up in a tanker from big blocks in the back of a wagon if I remember seeing it years ago.

Quite something that, wasn't it?!

Beats the chucking around of gravel that passes for 'resurfacing' on a lot of other roads though. Usually, within half a day the gravel has been swept aside by traffic, a week or three later someone comes along and sweeps up what gravel hasn't been buried in your paintwork and you're left with a couple of nice channels where the cars have completely cleared the new 'surface' and the rain can run down the road in little rivers rather nicely - very safe! To see what I mean take a look at what's happened on Johnny Watterson's alongside the new cemetery. Of course that new surface does nothing to deal with the, let's be kind, undulations in the road that give cars such a beating. Waste of taxpayers money, as usual, but what do I know :rolleyes:

Is it finished or just a stage finished.

I don't think Peel Road at Brown bobby is marshy but the clue for the Peel Road undulations was there for all to see.

Of course by time you get to Pulrose Bridge the land to the south was all marshy and has since been reclaimed.

Pell Road was laid in slabs, concrete slabs, when it was widened in the 1930's All concrete slab roads have to have expansion joints every so often to stop the concrete from cracking. Ashpalt or wood are commonly used to fill these small gaps. The slabs sink differentially so you get an up and down, up and down effect. The last repoair were needed because not only were there the undulations at joins but the slabs had cracked as well, they did not want to dig up the concrete it would take too long, cost too much and cause too much disruption, so they levelled it off with tarmac. More settlement has now taken place.

The same happened to the M6, Preston bypass, The UK's 1st motorway, concreted in the late 1950's and torn up and tarmacced in the late 1970's.

Most of the Hitler Autobahn s were concrete. There are still miles of thenm in East Germany and Southern Poland. Up and down, up and down in straight lines betwen the forests for ever. Same material, same problem.

Archived