Extra Costs To Chief Witness

Theskeat

The co defendant and main police witness that had a heart attack during the Ned Trial had heart surgery in Liverpool last week, the operation went well except for the cost. If he was to have the operation on the National Health it would have delayed the trial by at least 6 months due to the NHS waiting list. Mr Kelly decided to have it done private at a cost of over £10k, I wonder if the courts will pay his costs back.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have no doubt that the decision to circumvent the NHS waiting list by lashing out some money to have the operation was an entirely altruistic act - performed purely to enable the case to continue. :rolleyes:

Medical opinion was that the heart attact was brought on by the conditions in the court room,Fact, if it happened in the work place due to poor conditions provided by the employer, the employer would be liable so whats the difference

Medical opinion was that the heart attact was brought on by the conditions in the court room,Fact, if it happened in the work place due to poor conditions provided by the employer, the employer would be liable so whats the difference

It is a workplace, there are employees there.

...if it happened in the work place due to poor conditions provided by the employer, the employer would be liable so whats the difference

I thought legally there is a minimum temperature but no maximum in the workplace.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/temperature/index.htm

http://www.amicustheunion.org/pdf/29Temper...%20workplace%22

The cost of deciding to go private instead of waiting to go NHS is irrelevant, and will be dismissed by insurers. If it was a critical case then the NHS would have put him to the top of the queue.

He may be able to make a claim for personal injury, but any claim against public liability insurers would have to prove negligence. Given that nobody else had a heart attack it's safe to assume that he had a pre-existing heart condition. If he informed people of this, and told them that he wasn't feeling well, and they should have reasonably considered that he may be at risk of suffering a heart attack as a result of being there, but did nothing about it, I.e - acted negligently, then there may be grounds for a claim.

I find it hard to believe that there is any "waiting list" for thoses you've had a serious heart attack. Surely the waiting list would be made up of dead people if its longer than 6 weeks.

Is it really taking 6 months to receive remedial heart work after a major heart attack? If so its totally disgusting and we should be paying for EVERYBODY to go private without delay.

I find it hard to believe that there is any "waiting list" for thoses you've had a serious heart attack. Surely the waiting list would be made up of dead people if its longer than 6 weeks.

Is it really taking 6 months to receive remedial heart work after a major heart attack? If so its totally disgusting and we should be paying for EVERYBODY to go private without delay.

My neighbour had a severe heart attack and was on the waiting list for well over a year for a by-pass operation. After a couple of years she is still recovering. My knowledge and experience of others tells me that heart ops are best done asap.

I wish Mr Kelly all the best in his recovery.

edited to add that the year's wait was controlled by a multitude of drugs. That time and all those drugs have knocked a lot of life out of her.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived