F*ck

Amadeus

Nope, no rant or bad news of any kind, but a pretty interesting scholary paper by this guy, Christopher M. Fairman, Associate Professor of Law at the Ohio State University - Michael Moritz College of Law.

He's spent the best part of five years investigating one of the most used words in human language, and simply called his final paper "Fuck" ( Download it here )

Abstract:

This Article is as simple and provocative as its title suggests: it explores the legal implications of the word f*ck. The intersection of the word f*ck and the law is examined in four major areas: First Amendment, broadcast regulation, sexual harassment, and education. The legal implications from the use of f*ck vary greatly with the context. To fully understand the legal power of f*ck, the nonlegal sources of its power are tapped. Drawing upon the research of etymologists, linguists, lexicographers, psychoanalysts, and other social scientists, the visceral reaction to f*ck can be explained by cultural taboo. F*ck is a taboo word. The taboo is so strong that it compels many to engage in self-censorship. This process of silence then enables small segments of the population to manipulate our rights under the guise of reflecting a greater community. Taboo is then institutionalized through law, yet at the same time is in tension with other identifiable legal rights. Understanding this relationship between law and taboo ultimately yields f*ck jurisprudence.

Interesting read, that...

Nope, no rant or bad news of any kind, but a pretty interesting scholary paper by this guy, Christopher M. Fairman, Associate Professor of Law at the Ohio State University - Michael Moritz College of Law.

He's spent the best part of five years investigating one of the most used words in human language, and simply called his final paper "****" ( Download it here )

ultimately yields **** jurisprudence.[/i]

Interesting read, that...

Have you gone quite mad? Lost deposit?

Have you gone quite mad?

Well ok then, I have defused the thread a little to prevent possible f-word overload symptoms - but the basic point was really only that a law professor wrote a paper about the f-word, and named it after the same as well - no doubt he did that on purpose....

Great reading. I can't wait for his next papers..........

I think he does have a point somehow - U2 was in hot water, and the TV station airing it was nearly fined (or was fined - have to look for link) when Bono once said "This is f... great" when accepting an award live on air, yet you can go and watch any Hollywood movie, such as Saving Private Ryan, where Tom Hanks & Co swear like troopers and it's ok.

Or just look at radio DJ's, especially in Britain - one swear word and your career can be in ruins, all "bad language" has to be bleeped out, yet I would lay you nearly any bet that most people listening to the radio are happily f-ing away quite a few times every day - it certainly is a strange kind of self-censorship....

Clearly the attempts of DH Lawrence to rehabilitate the F word as the proper anglos saxon word for intercourse has failed and we are beiong ever so slightly prudish here

On the basis that that is all it ios are you going to hide intercourse?

'Fancy a ****?' still gets me regularly slapped at Paramount. Perhaps his next paper could address where I might be going wrong with the word.

At your age, I think you should probably save that kind of line for the SDOFA club at the end of Finch Road! :D

Archived