Newsbotty Missed A Story?

manxchatterbox

How comes this on MR yet I don't see a newsbotty thread???

Plans to be lodged for runway extension

Posted on the 12 September 2006 10:51:06

A planning application submitted to DLGE this week might well make planners sit up and take notice – it’s not every day they consider a two hundred metre promontory running out to sea.

But the extension to the runway at Ronaldsway will mean the airport can keep up with international rules on safety areas.

The current area at the end of the runway won’t be long enough to meet new aviation standards.

Airport Director Philip Pain says the extension is about one thing only (audio file attached):

but doesn't the bit in the audio about bigger planes seem at a difference to this article in the Observer about smaller jets landing at Ronaldsway....

A new breed of tiny jets, carrying as few as four passengers, is set to revolutionise air travel by offering air taxi services that will cost up to 30 times less than current private planes......'They might not be right for people who buy Easyjet flights months in advance to get the best deal, but it will suit those who need to get to and from smaller airports, such as in the Isle of Man, or small groups and families who want to get somewhere quickly or in luxury,' said Broom.

full text at:-

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/travel/stor...1863548,00.html

No, as an e thingy (and I do not understand the technology, but I do know it is not a living thing), it doesn't need feeding!

More to the point though, this was covered on MR this morning (or possibly yesterday) and the reason this runway improvement is needed, apparently, is to conform to international standards and allow a run off for planes but would allow bigger planes into Ronaldsway as it could be used for take-off and landing. Which begs the question, if you allow bigger planes then don't you need an even bigger run off area?

Archived