Airport Extension

Chinahand

They should just stick lights on the road between Castletwon and Ballasalla and extend the runway inland. If, as many suspect, there wouldn't be that many 737s coming anyway, it wouldn't cause too much disruption to traffic, and would be much cheaper than reclaiming

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The runway extension is a for safety reasons to comply with new laws, nothing to do with bigger jets.

That's how I understood it as well - if the extension isn't done, then the useable length of runway may has to be shortened, to create the recommended Runway End Safety Area in a different way - besides, I remember a picture of a 757 that landed here after being chartered by a local company some years ago, so bigger birds seem to be able to land here already if they really want (or need) to.

Like the 146, though - nice little plane with loads of oomph...

post-1086-1158168826_thumb.jpg

I stand corrected :mellow:

They should just stick lights on the road between Castletwon and Ballasalla and extend the runway inland. If, as many suspect, there wouldn't be that many 737s coming anyway, it wouldn't cause too much disruption to traffic, and would be much cheaper than reclaiming

it's good enough for Gibraltar...

czekanie.jpg

While everyone seems to agree that a longer runway is necessary for larger jets and the DLGE and associates are keen to progress, I've yet to see any details of who would fly here, what the new routes would be, where you would get sufficient numbers of travellers to make it cost effective and more importantly how long it will take to recoup the cost.

I'm concerned that this will end up yet another costly white elephant (incinerator, power station, etc). The numbers don't appear to add up - who's pet project is this?

Which company is doing the Project Management for a 6 £igure sum?

I believe it is them that did/are doing the IRIS Project.

Extending the runway at this point certainly makes good sense. The Isle of Man's economy is increasingly diverging from those of Jersey and Guernsey, and as they struggle to find the funds to implement their own zero-ten proposals, their economies could find themselves in a parlous state. That could lead to significant relocation of finance sector business to the island, increasing the need for larger and executive jets to call at Ronaldsway and demanding a state-of-the-art facility.

You assume that everybody in this Island lives their life for one thing and one thing only and that is to feverishly expand the 'economy', make more money, buy newer cars, bigger house, go on expensive holidays, etc. et-freekingreedy-cetera.

Big runways, big planes, big car, big dicks, big tits, big bank accounts, big hair, big tractors to mow the big lawns, big fat bellys full of big lunches,

This Island has really changed in the last ten years beyond all recognition.

You assume that everybody in this Island lives their life for one thing and one thing only and that is to feverishly expand the 'economy', make more money, buy newer cars, bigger house, go on expensive holidays, etc. et-freekingreedy-cetera.

Big runways, big planes, big car, big dicks, big tits, big bank accounts, big hair, big tractors to mow the big lawns, big fat bellys full of big lunches,

This Island has really changed in the last ten years beyond all recognition.

It's not really a question of pandering to corporate fatcats or going for growth at any cost. But if we don't take positive steps to stay ahead of competitors like Jersey and Guernsey, you may be certain they'll be attempting to take steps to outdo us, damaging the buoyant economy we have now.

It's not really a question of pandering to corporate fatcats or going for growth at any cost. But if we don't take positive steps to stay ahead of competitors like Jersey and Guernsey, you may be certain they'll be attempting to take steps to outdo us, damaging the buoyant economy we have now.

I think most people support this. Its a much better plan than they usually hemorage money on. We need the traffic and we need the extra capacity and extra flights.

Move the airport to jurby plenty of room up there.

O sh*t i just realised this is the isle of man, yeah great idea i am sure someone needs a few million in the bank, poor buggers my heart bleeds.

Perhaps our friendly CEO might wish to make a reappearance and explain why he has decided to drop out of the jet age and downsize to rather 'tired' and 'well worn' turbo propellor aircraft (refering here to the interiors - I hope the rest of the aircraft is in better shape) and why his company isn't flying Islanders to various parts of Europe direct. I think I know what he'll say but perhaps his 'professional' input would put the myth of a sustainable 737 operation to and from the Island to bed?

Given flight times to the Island I just don't care what they use. After losing a friend in the plane blown up over Lockerbie I am just glad when we land on the runway.

Just for the record, a good few years ago I came from Heathrow to Ronaldsway in a Ryanair 737, Manx's jet had been delayed on a staff jolly to Amsterdam as far as I was told and the 737 was the stand-in, there were so many spare seats we could sit where we liked ! (perhaps that's how it could do the trip, low pax count and low fuel load)

Archived