The Streets

manxchatterbox

No there was a road closure order, but as a sop M7S did put the back door in to retain a pedestriam thoroughfare during opening hours.

Samer happened at the Strand Centre where a whole nsaqure went

..and what was it called

and all the small streets and the square under Chester Street car park

and going back to the 1920's the realignment of Big Well Street and then in the 1950's the building of Shaws brow CarPark, lots of lost streets there!

No0thing new.

I don't remember a square being there, although I can't remember exactly what WAS there!

I'm sure I remember the previous Shaw's Brow car park being built, although this may have been a re-development of the then existing car park. A man used to sit in a hut and took your parking fee, if anyone remembers him!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No there was a road closure order, but as a sop M7S did put the back door in to retain a pedestriam thoroughfare during opening hours.

thieawin, thanks for your professional input here :)

I wasn't on the Island at the time of The Brewery et al - car park - M & S building, but I take it from your post that the removal forever of a right of way road was properly carried out.

Roads, Streets, Public Footpaths and Rights of Way are precious things - and just because they are not being used today doesn't meant that we can remove them at a whim. We need to be aware of the needs of not only current but future generations too.

Without looking it up I couldn't say. Present hit rate for road closure/suspension orders seems to be about a third are wrong, short advertised etc.

Shaws Brow was 1950's originally. As for the little man, one of them was caught for pocketing the takings.

The square was, I seem to remember, Wellington Square it was a triangle with a tree in the centre. There was an old bethel and acouple shops

No there was a road closure order, but as a sop M&S did put the back door in to retain a pedestriam thoroughfare during opening hours.

Same happened at the Strand Centre where a whole square went

..and what was it called?

and all the small streets and the square under Chester Street car park

and going back to the 1920's the realignment of Big Well Street and then in the 1950's the building of Shaws brow Car Park, lots of lost streets there!

Nothing new.

Wellington Square was in the area of Chester Street, buried under Shoprite/Safeways and the car park.

Streets in that area were named Chester Street, Edward Lane and Wellington Square.

The area where the Strand Centre is now, was a lane which branched off Market Street, in towards Strand Street, and ran at the back of the Waterloo, Kays Hairdressers, Ingles Engravers, and came out near the bottom of Well Road Hill, opposite Kermode and Bignells which was then on the corner at the junction of Strand Street and Castle Street.

The small terrace of houses in that back lane was called, Tynwald Terrace. There was a bakehouse in that area as well, another branch of Quirks I think. Sid Lawton used to tune and prepare his Aermacchi's there in a shed during TT week.....

They started knocking down Shaw's Brow houses in July 1962, starting with the Adelphi Hotel. The car park which preceded the present one was built in the mid sixties.

For further expertise on back lane life, you know where to come.....

[

Wellington Square was in the area of Chester Street, buried under Shoprite/Safeways and the car park.

Streets in that area were named Chester Street, Edward Lane and Wellington Square.

The area where the Strand Centre is now, was a lane which branched off Market Street, in towards Strand Street, and ran at the back of the Waterloo, Kays Hairdressers, Ingles Engravers, and came out near the bottom of Well Road Hill, opposite Kermode and Bignells which was then on the corner at the junction of Strand Street and Castle Street.

The small terrace of houses in that back lane was called, Tynwald Terrace. There was a bakehouse in that area as well, another branch of Quirks I think. Sid Lawton used to tune and prepare his Aermacchi's there in a shed during TT week.....

They started knocking down Shaw's Brow houses in July 1962, starting with the Adelphi Hotel. The car park which preceded the present one was built in the mid sixties.

For further expertise on back lane life, you know where to come.....

You and I are both wrong and right.

There were many more streets under Chester Stret than you list but only half of Wellington Square. It continued to exist in truncated form until Strand shopping Centre.

My memory is that Market Street ended at Radcliffes, that there was a short street, back Strand Street, went through behind the Waterloo and Bridsons Hat shop. It connected to Wellington Square. Tynwald Terrace was on the Castle Street side of Wellington Square

Sorry about the date mistake with Shaws Brow.

This crossreferences to another posting starnd, the whereabouts of the cattlemarket and the tannery. My understanding is that the cattlemarket was built where Market street ended and branched into Back Strand Street, and that later it became a Tannery, ratehr than where they are demolishing now below South Douglas Old Friends building.

Any excavations of the cattleMarket should have been done at time of Markwell House, Market Street Extension and Strand Shopping Center

The pram shop was near the top of Well road Hill.

In the fifties there was a little cafe on the right as you went up the hill from Strand St. I think it was called "Noons" We used to go there on the way to eleven o' clock Mass at St Marys'. The Convent of Mercy was on Finch road.

I think the pram shop was Courties'.

The Manx Girls Choir used to practice in a room somewhere above there, maybe the Oddfellows Hall?

Then on the last bus home we used to have to sing the "Nuns' Chorus" for a bloke who was always on the bus and always drunk. He was a friendly drunk though. :)

Have just remembered those big coloured bottles.

Archived