Brandish

slinkydevil

FYI - if you travel over the mountain,

Work is starting on Brandish Corner next week. They are going to work on it while the roads are open, which is good, but will be installing traffic lights for 7 weeks (not sure when) which may cause some congestion.

"The work is scheduled to commence on Monday 18th September 2006 and it should be completed no later than Friday 15th December 2006."

"The construction programme allows the majority of the work to be built off the line of the existing bend but there will be temporary traffic signals in place for approximately 7 weeks so that the new section of road can be tied into the existing road at either side of the bend."

Full info here:

http://www.gov.im/lib/news/transport/departmentoftran14.xml

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This one might also be of relevance:

A18 MOUNTAIN ROAD (TT COURSE BRANDISH TO HILLBERRY) (TEMPORARY IMPOSITION OF SPEED LIMIT) (NO 3) ORDER 2006

The Department gives notice that under Sections 3 and 24 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1985, it has made an Order the effect of which is to impose a 50mph speed limit on that section of the A18 Mountain Road from a point 250 metres north of Brandish Corner to the existing speed limit at Hillberry.

The Order comes into force from Sunday 3 September 2006 and continues in force until Sunday 31 December 2006 or until the roadworks are completed, whichever is the earlier.

This Order imposes a temporary 50mph speed limit on a section of the A18 Mountain Road from north of Brandish Corner to Hillberry.

I doubt that any speeds above 50 will be possible or sensible there during this time, but watch your speedo anyway - might be a good time to get them radar pistols out again...

edited to add: 130 lap next year then?

Current DoT safety policy seems to be to sanitise bends that people have to think about, and impose limits at places if anyone even THOUGHT of having an accident within half a mile.

That kind of logic could see all pharmacies shut down, in that many customers who exit them feel quite ill.

Hundreds of thousands could have been saved at Windy Corner and Brandish by erecting a couple of signs saying 'KILLER BEND AHEAD - SLOW DOWN'.

Like has been said many times before Stu, public roads are provided as a thoroughfare, to aid commuting etc, and not for racing.

Therefore, measures taken at known blackspots should be encouraged. Undoubtedly there are other measures, but these improvements should be welcomed by those that want 'safer' roads.

The DoT have cocked up many, many things, but I believe that these two projects are not in that category.

Current DoT safety policy seems to be to sanitise bends that people have to think about, and impose limits at places if anyone even THOUGHT of having an accident within half a mile.

That kind of logic could see all pharmacies shut down, in that many customers who exit them feel quite ill.

Hundreds of thousands could have been saved at Windy Corner and Brandish by erecting a couple of signs saying 'KILLER BEND AHEAD - SLOW DOWN'.

What a septacularly stupid point of view. Bends should be hard and dangerous to make them fun? Grow up?

In all fairness the new Windy Corner is far faster than the old Windy Corner, you can get round the bastard at 80mph+ no problem these days.

Hopefully Brandish can be similarly improved, and if they make it so you can see what's coming the other way in both directions as well, dramatic overtaking and undertaking will be possible.

It'll be like normal driving and racing at the same time!

Get yourself prepared early :rolleyes:

http://www.albins.co.uk/supplies.htm

In all fairness the new Windy Corner is far faster than the old Windy Corner, you can get round the bastard at 80mph+ no problem these days.

Hopefully Brandish can be similarly improved, and if they make it so you can see what's coming the other way in both directions as well, dramatic overtaking and undertaking will be possible.

ah but there are chevrons on the road at windy now where are before it was just a broken line as far as i rememeber so now its illegal to undertake there, not done it myself yet anyway. brandish will most likely be the same exept theres a nice layby at cronk ny mona where mister piglet can pull you in. :(

Manxman - who said anything about racing?? And Slim - what's hard and dangerous about the current Brandish? I think it's a horrid corner - blind approach, narrow and with no run-off.

Which mean that presently it's a bend where only bad driving/riding will lead to a crash. I'm sure (as Chopley says) that the new one will be much faster and smoother. Which seems a strange approach to road safety - or am I being thick? Shouldn't a licenced and tested driver be competent enough to take bends like that without crashing into the earth bank, or oncoming traffic?

I'm all for taking personal responsibility for my driving - I don't expect the DoT to change the roads by installing airbags or making all of us drive around them at half speed.

It does seem a very odd attitude by the DOT - The bend does indeed become smoother, safer and with better visibility and a positive camber, but at the same time becomes much faster.

Give them their due, nothing seems to have happened at Windy yet, and even with very few drivers / riders keeping to the suggested 40mph.

I admit I enjoy going 'round Windy corner much more now, so I'm hoping for the same set of results with Brandish.

brandish will most likely be the same exept theres a nice layby at cronk ny mona where mister piglet can pull you in. :(

I'm not complaining because they'll probably improve visibiity, have a better road surface and be much safer to take quickly. The muppets will still crash though :o

BTW if you wait until Cronk ny Mona to look for Mr Plod (don't know why they'd be checking speeds as they couldn't be arsed in TT fortnight when there was a 60 limit and a load more tear arses on the roads) you'll be too late as the 'lay by' as you call it (it's actually a road junction but the wazzock bikers treat it like the pits at Donnington) is at Hillberry, 1/4 mile before!! :D

ah but there are chevrons on the road at windy now where are before it was just a broken line as far as i rememeber so now its illegal to undertake there

It's not a crime if you don't get caught!

Indeed. The visibility at Windy is so good you can spot any Rozzers from a mile off :)

As far as Brandish is concerned lets hope the new, safer corner will make up for the increased number of accidents on the Creg Ny Baa back Road when the Douglas bound traffic starts turning off down there as soon as the traffic lights go up

I saw a couple of nasty TT crashes up there in the 70s. Brandish will be better a bit straighter, though hopefully will involve a 'TT perspective' in the work.

The Romans had it right with straight roads - who ever heard of any of them crashing on bends or getting done for speeding?

Archived