Brandish

slinkydevil

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I saw a couple of nasty TT crashes up there in the 70s. Brandish will be better a bit straighter, though hopefully will involve a 'TT perspective' in the work.

The Romans had it right with straight roads - who ever heard of any of them crashing on bends or getting done for speeding?

I used to have some great "sideways" experiences at Windy before the changes. It takes the fun out for me. The trick was always to avoid getting two wheels stuck in the gravel "off" ramp. Now you can hit it at any speed and get away with it. Boring.

As far as Brandish is concerned lets hope the new, safer corner will make up for the increased number of accidents on the Creg Ny Baa back Road when the Douglas bound traffic starts turning off down there as soon as the traffic lights go up

Heh, I'd rather queue at those lights than go through bloody Onchan during 'rush hour', especially during term time.

Yeah - like those motorway roads across - straight as a die for miles, 3 or 4 lanes wide, and no crashes, ever.

By way of a waffle, I want to tell you a story.

About ten years ago I came away from TT on one of the night boats and landed in Liverpool about 4.00am in the morning. There was very little traffic, the sun was just about rising and by the time I hit somewhere between Carlisle and Glasgow a new 6 lane motorway had just been opened and it was just before them camera things were everywhere. Up that way there is actually some rather twisty motorway and it is fun when you have the road to yourself and a brand new Honda Fireblade motorcycle.

Knee down on the mtorway? Yep, it is well possible at 160+mph on that particular stretch.

• 4 weeks later...

Well the traffic lights are now up at Brandish. Anyone care to guess the length of the tailback towards Ramsey tomorrow morning?

Also what's with the removal of the hedge all the way down to Hillberry? Are they putting a pavement in or is it widening to improve the racing line into Hilberry?

WTF is the point in doing the corner, It doesn't look any different! Well except they have removed the grass verge bit.

And WTF are they doing it, Making it a quicker corner, Right before the temp 50mph and not much away from the 40mph zone, Maybe thats the way they'll cover the costs, Catching people out in TT week in the 50 and 40 zones.

Not to be too radical or anything, but how about y'know, fixing some of these other chuffing roads sometime, properly? Is it that nothing gets done, until the farmers complain they can't get their tractors around?

If a bends dangerous, put some 'slow' signage and some shellgrip down.

And fix the TT course, Ramsey-Sulby, and the coast road Ramsey-Glen Mona..

And (..I'll stop there..)

I have two lines of thought on corners, one is that you know it's there, local knowledge shouldn't be required, road signs should show everyone how severe the corner is and drive accordingly.

The other is that wider roads and sweeping bends are fine if your cruise control is stuck on 40mph, otherwise wider corners will just be taken faster and the inevitable crashes will be faster.

With Brandish, in most vehicles you could just drop down to 45mph on entry and steer around it on your own side of the road with no drama or problem, the only problem was that the visibility was obscured by the railings.

Does anyone remember the 'Top Esses' on the Tholt-y-will road, there was a definite pair of corners which you really got a feel of with the seat of your pants, and since they made them into vague swoops right and left (when they built the 'new' reservoir) you have no real apex to aim for and are more likely to be too fast and miss the turn point and end up down the gully, or just go through them like a sunday driver.

Straight wide smooth roads and motorways where you are going like a bat out of h3ll, you are lulled into a false sense of security and have lost grip on the reality of stopping distances and cornering forces and any mishaps are going to be serious.

I would have advocated a total revamp of all Island road markings and signage to a consistent 'standard pattern' so that you could trust the signs as to what to expect, and believe road markings when they show double or single lines as to when it is safe to overtake (and stop the double like as soon as it is safe, not 100m later).

This latter is very noticeable on areas of roads in the UK controlled by different authorities, some roads you can totally rely on the markings (like the A591 in the lakes), most others you can't really be sure of until you have used them often.

I suppose there are two sorts of drivers, those that enjoy driving, and those that drive to get from A to B

... but, the inevitable disclaimer...... you can't legislate for idiots :ph34r:

WTF is the point in doing the corner, It doesn't look any different! Well except they have removed the grass verge bit.

Once it has been completed, the new corner at Brandish will look significantly different to the current layout - it will include a major alteration to the radius of the bend, slightly wider running carriageway, transition curves, and positive camber (called superelevation) similar to the new layout at Windy Corner. The Manx sod hedge on the inside of the new bend will be relocated some distance back away from the highway, and a new grass verge will be created to improve the forward stopping sight distance for motorists. Similarly, the old abandoned section of highway on the outside of the new bend will become a grass verge. So the completed scheme will have a more open aspect.

Source

Yeah - like those motorway roads across - straight as a die for miles, 3 or 4 lanes wide, and no crashes, ever.

No, wait...

You're far less likely to crash on a motorway than in a town or on a country road. The outcome of a crash may be more severe (purely because of that thing called "speed"), but the chances of having one are extremely low.

In short, you have messed up.

Archived