Brandish

slinkydevil

"There's an almost pious range of viewpoints usually expressed that 'speed limits are good and make roads safer', or that 'these are public roads and not a racetrack for boy racers', or 'you should be enjoying the scenery - what's the rush', or 'I have every right to do 30mph over the mountain road if I want to'.

It's this group of people - often elderly in my experience - that creates the moving roadblocks that lead to frustration, and from that to dangerous overtakes and accidents. I'm not excusing the dangerous overtakes, merely illustrating how ordinarily sane drivers end up taking chances.

And not only do they refuse to pull over to let faster traffic pass them, they gesticulate and flash you if you DO get past, as though you're Beelzebub incarnate. "

This is exactly the sort of problem I have seen time and time again. Normal drivers being angered into attempting dangoerous overtaking manouvres because of ignorant, holier than thou tossers.

I have given up all my fast toys, and drive about in a lil' Zuki jeep now, if I am holding someone up, I make a point of getting them past me as soon as possible. Wagons, the Elderly (in general) and FARMERS especially can be the most ignorant bastards on the road with their "Well, I am not gonna get anywhere soon in this tractor, so none of you lot are either" attitudes. There are exceptions to the rule, so if you are one of them, this is of course not directed at you. But the level of overall road ignorance on the Island far exceeds european averages.

As for stats, we all know that anyone can spin stats to prove whatever they want them to.

Coppers on the road, enforcing limits which are there for a reason (Schools, pedestrian hotspots, known accident locations) is one of the answers.

I would also like to see them posted at places around the Island pulling over lorries/tractors/pigheaded motorists with 15 cars stuck behind them, to nicely point out the vehicles they have held up, point out the rear view mirror and its uses, and suggest that next time, not to wait for a copper to pull them over before they let traffic past.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Has anyone heard what the cost of this road improvement is? If Windy Corner cost £200,000 then Brandish must be up in the millions.

I doubt that.

At a guess I'd say more like 400,000.

Anyone know what that green sludge was they were spraying on the soil banks ?

I noticed when i drove past on monday very strange

• 3 weeks later...

Archived