Official Wii Launch Details

Rich

For those interested I have taken the following from the ONM forum.

• Date: 8 December

• Price: £179

• Price of Wii games: £35-£40

• Launch games: Wii Sports (bundled with the console), The Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Wii Play (a collection of games like ping pong; will come with a Wii Remote)

• Virtual Console: 15 games will be available during the launch period, though prices and names have yet to be confirmed.

• Third-party launch games: These are still to be confirmed, but Red Steel, Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz and Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam are expected to appear on launch day, with the other big-name games (WarioWare, Call Of Duty, Splinter Cell) all due within 12 weeks of the launch.

• What’s in the box: Wii console, console stand, a Wii Remote, a Nunchuk attachment, a Sensor Bar, a Sensor Bar stand, mains adapter, composite video multi-out cable with a Euro AV SCART block.

• Other details

• Wii Channels allow you to use the console for more than just gaming. The Channels are as follows:

Disc Channel: This is the one you’ll probably use most – this is the Channel for playing Wii and GameCube games.

Mii Channel: This Channel lets you create caricatured characters that you can use in a range of Wii games. You can store your custom avatar in your Remote so that when you play on another Wii you can still use your character.

Photo Channel: Got any digital pictures on an SD memory card? Put the card into your Wii and you can see your photos on the TV. An image editing tool lets you change the photos by adding doodles and stamps, or you can create a slideshow with your own choice of MP3 music.

Forecast Channel: If your Wii is connected to the internet then you can check what the weather’s like without opening the curtains!

News Channel: Like the Weather Channel, this keeps you up to date with the world outside. Use a 3D globe to point to the area where you’d like to know what’s going on.

Wii Shop Channel: Visit the Wii Shop to redeem Wii Points for Virtual Console downloads or to buy the Opera internet browser software.

Internet Channel: It’s the internet on your TV! Brilliant! Just buy the Opera browser software and then you can surf the World Wide Web from your sofa – and in widescreen!

Wii Message Board: Leave messages for other people in the house, or use WiiConnect24 to send messages to other Wii users. This is also the Channel that will deliver free content upgrades for games.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know how the whole exchange rates work really, surely it's down to what that value reflects to those countries?

For instance is $250 to a US citizen our equivalent of £250 to us.

And do we feel ripped off because we value it on the exchange rate rather than it's financial value to the country it resides?

I'll be buying one regardless!!! :D

Only thing that worries me is the high probability of a serious shortage, the Wii seems to have generated a lot more fuss than previous impending consoles that I can remember, maybe I've just been following this console more but it feels like there's more hype surrounding it, particularly due to the massive success of the DS.

the thing is we are getting ripped off, $250 is about £133 , so i don't see why the european market has to fork out an extra £45.

I'll still be buying one though, i've always had playstations but with the price of the ps3 being as it is i'll be going for a wii ;)

he Wii seems to have generated a lot more fuss than previous impending consoles

Really? I vaguely remember seeing the original design when it was released a while back but apart from that i've heard nothing about it. Okay i'm not a gamer and won't buy one but this is the first thing i've read about it, with stuff like the x-box, x-box 360, PS2 and PS3 etc i've heard everything about them despite not having the intention of buying any of them.

I don't know how the whole exchange rates work really, surely it's down to what that value reflects to those countries?

For instance is $250 to a US citizen our equivalent of £250 to us.

And do we feel ripped off because we value it on the exchange rate rather than it's financial value to the country it resides?

Price of a Big Mac in the US: $3.10

Price of a Big Mac in the UK: $3.65

Funnily enough, $3.10 + VAT = you guessed it.

Europe is being ripped off no matter which way you look at it.

I understand that the price in dollars is usually translated to the same in pounds here but what I'm getting at is people are comparing a price based on the current rate of exchange.

The value of goods to either country may well be relative, $250 to a US citizen may feel the same as £250 does to you or I from a value perspective, so they may not feel like it's cheaper for them.

ill think ill take my gamecube/ds/psp approach on this one.. not bother till an interesting looking game comes out.

just trying to decide whether to do that on the ps3 too.. or is singstar gona have knights of cydonia to download....hmmm ..

it would be worth 400 quid then easy!! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I'll pick up the Wii, looks like it will be something fun to bring out for a houseparty and Nintendo exclusive titles normally are worth the retail price alone.

Expect an onslaught of cheesey Wii remote commercials, I especially love the Red Steel ones.

Check it out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fu8puXwwpE

Coulnt pay me enough to act like that...

• 1 month later...

Archived