Cost Of Petrol

Theskeat

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Haven't prices just gone down anyway?

Yes but not by enough. I was across a few days ago and the petrol price at ordinary stations in the North West was 87.9, some were slightly more (89.9) some less (Tescos etc.).

I still fail to understand how the two companies over here are allowed to get away with it. It does not cost 10p per litre or anything like that to bring the petrol here from the UK. Do you think the people in Northern Ireland would put up with it?

Just come back from London, prices out of the main town were just under £1 per litre, was in Scotland a couple of weeks ago and the average price for Super seemed to be around the £1 a litre mark too.

If you want to be really ripped off, try getting Super unleaded at the service stations on the M6. I knew they wouldn't be the cheapest, but with normal unleaded at about 98p per litre, I didn't think the Super would be too much off that.

At £1.15(!) per litre for Esso super, I was sooo wrong.....

Compared to the UK pricing I've seen, I'm not complaining too much about the prices over here at the moment.

Just come back from London, prices out of the main town were just under £1 per litre, was in Scotland a couple of weeks ago and the average price for Super seemed to be around the £1 a litre mark too.

If you want to be really ripped off, try getting Super unleaded at the service stations on the M6. I knew they wouldn't be the cheapest, but with normal unleaded at about 98p per litre, I didn't think the Super would be too much off that.

At £1.15(!) per litre for Esso super, I was sooo wrong.....

Compared to the UK pricing I've seen, I'm not complaining too much about the prices over here at the moment.

Points taken, but in the last 2 weeks prices in general in the uk have dropped substancially, whereas over here they have not. It seems if there is a price rise announced, the IOM are the first to act on it. When it falls they are the last.

Stations in and around are expensive London because the land is expensive, wages are high, conjestion charge is there and that all has a knock on effect . Motorway petrol is expensive because they know they can rip people off. Scotland was expensive 2 weeks ago because that was before all this.

Stations in and around are expensive London because the land is expensive, wages are high, conjestion charge is there and that all has a knock on effect . Motorway petrol is expensive because they know they can rip people off. Scotland was expensive 2 weeks ago because that was before all this.

So what you are saying is that there are mitigating factors that affect the cost of things sold anywhere....QED!

So what you are saying is that there are mitigating factors that affect the cost of things sold anywhere....QED!

Yes, but it costs just as much, or more to deliver fuel to Northern Ireland but the price is 10P per litre cheaper.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/sto...sp?story=706419

..But the supermarket prices have a knock on effect. As soon as one does it, they all have to follow suit. This includes the independants. Survival of the fittest (or cheapest in this case). The problem over here is lack of competition. In all the years I have been buying petrol over here there has only ever been one station who ever undercut the rest by any substantial amount and that was Vondys, which is now gone. A few others tried (E.g. the petrol station at Glen Helen) but all seem to have gone.

AS far as mitigating factors are concerned, Belfast is a very expensive city to live in and yet petrol is 10% cheaper than here.

In all the years I have been buying petrol over here there has only ever been one station who ever undercut the rest by any substantial amount and that was Vondys, which is now gone. A few others tried (E.g. the petrol station at Glen Helen) but all seem to have gone.

AS far as mitigating factors are concerned, Belfast is a very expensive city to live in and yet petrol is 10% cheaper than here.

Hmmm I wonder why its gone...probably coz they werent makning a profit!!! I'm not saying that its right its just that the lack of competetion is in all service sectors on the Island...the same argument comes up with the Brewery, IOMSPCo, the airlines etc etc....market forces onthe Island nurture monopolistic or oligopolistic businesses.

Yes, but it costs just as much, or more to deliver fuel to Northern Ireland but the price is 10P per litre cheaper.

Economies of scale play a very big part in costs on the Island compared to those of the adjoining isles. I for one are quite understanding that there is often an added 'Isle of Man' cost due to economies of scale, local economics and to be honest I buy local at every oporunity to support the local economy.

If it costs me a little bit more to live in a relativly safe environment, cushioned from the problems experienced living in the UK, safe in the knowledge that it is highly unlikley that my car will be stolen, my house done over and my children exposed to crack dealers on street corners, then so be it. We are a long way off the added cost of living on this island outwaying the benefits of living here.

Economies of scale play a very big part in costs on the Island compared to those of the adjoining isles. I for one are quite understanding that there is often an added 'Isle of Man' cost due to economies of scale, local economics and to be honest I buy local at every oporunity to support the local economy.

If it costs me a little bit more to live in a relativly safe environment, cushioned from the problems experienced living in the UK, safe in the knowledge that it is highly unlikley that my car will be stolen, my house done over and my children exposed to crack dealers on street corners, then so be it. We are a long way off the added cost of living on this island outwaying the benefits of living here.

Totally agree. We generally earn a higher wage than UK and we pay far less tax so why moan about a few p extra for petrol? Its not like anyone here has to travel that far anyway??

Archived