[BBC News]Teenagers shun voter registration

Newsbot

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We're supposed to register? :unsure: I think that a mini leaflet should be handed out to the teenagers who are now allowed to vote, explaining how the system works etc. As the majority of us don't really have a clue!!

Has no-one contacted you? Or anyone else you know? What about schools & college?

I'd be amazed if there hadn't been any direct contact with everyone who - since the last election - has reached voting age.

Who's in charge of this thing? :o

In my school, we've just been handed a registration form, that's it. No explaination or anything of how the voting system works. Well if we had been told, I must have not been listening! But my friends agree that nothing has been said to us in our school.

Was always Frida for me - she was less obvious that Agnetha. What a mistake THAT marriage would have been - saw her in a documentary recently and she looked MUCH older than blondie. And her dad was a Nazi, so would have interrogated me in a damp cellar as to my intentions. Probably.

Oh yeah, kids voting. If you want to vote, get on to the registration people at Government offices on Bucks Road. If you don't vote you lose all rights to have or express a political opinion until you're 21.

Yes, Agnetha was the obvious one especially with Waterloo although I'm not sure about the start of this video:

Waterloo Video

When Fernando hit ToTP I realised that there could be a certain finesse about Frida although Agnetha also showed a 'girl next door' quality too. Although I was (*ahem* and still am) really only looking for a big blonde busty Swedish woman:

Fernando Video

Aye, teenage angst indeed.

So . . . to get back on thread, who would you rather vote for MHK in your area? Agnetha or Frida

(the girls of the forum could do a similar vote for the two bearded blokes in ABBA - whoever they were)

In my school, we've just been handed a registration form, that's it. No explaination or anything of how the voting system works. Well if we had been told, I must have not been listening! But my friends agree that nothing has been said to us in our school.

Which part of "we were handed a registration form" did you have the problem with?

I take it that after all your school years, the hard working teachers have indeed taught you to read, follow instructions and complete a task.

Maybe they should have devoted an entire KS5 lesson to the subject "how to follow instructions, read and complete". No doubt it would have included a powerpoint presentation, flow diagrams, brain storm sessions and a Plenary.

The problem with giving 16 year olds the vote is - how many of them could really give a flying fcuk about doing anything for themselves without having it spoon fed by teachers.

Ask your parents - the nuts and bolts of voting is not down to teachers - Policing, social working, judge, jury, doctor, health visitor, nurse and general dealing with hormones and runny noses is.

Which part of "we were handed a registration form" did you have the problem with?

I take it that after all your school years, the hard working teachers have indeed taught you to read, follow instructions and complete a task.

Maybe they should have devoted an entire KS5 lesson to the subject "how to follow instructions, read and complete". No doubt it would have included a powerpoint presentation, flow diagrams, brain storm sessions and a Plenary.

The problem with giving 16 year olds the vote is - how many of them could really give a flying fcuk about doing anything for themselves without having it spoon fed by teachers.

Ask your parents - the nuts and bolts of voting is not down to teachers - Policing, social working, judge, jury, doctor, health visitor, nurse and general dealing with hormones and runny noses is.

I have to agree with you. It proves that the whole issue of lowering the voting age was a waste of Tynwald's time and tax payers money.

Funny thing is, I remember an election when I was 15 or 16 and my friends and I actually talked about the issues and who we would vote for and why, even though we obviously had no "voice". I wonder what has happened in the intervening time to make teenagers so clueless? Anybody know?

We're supposed to register? :unsure: I think that a mini leaflet should be handed out to the teenagers who are now allowed to vote, explaining how the system works etc. As the majority of us don't really have a clue!!

I've heard things like that quite a few times during the last weeks - worrying...

Calling them clueless is a tad unfair! The local political scene is a shambles, corrupt and a bit of an old boys club. Can't think why that doesn't interest teenagers!

Had i been able to vote at 16 i probably would have done, almost certainly i knew more about local politics then than i do now. As it is, now i can legally vote i'm not sure i want to (or if i'll get to anyway, currently there is no contest in my area). The fact that two of the people who were heavily criticised in the Mount Murray report are still in the Keys as Chief Minister and Minsiter for Home Affairs says it all about manx politics.

I don't blame teenagers for not being bothered, I'm certainly not.

I had to look that up.....and I learnt a new word for the day...cheers dude.

Archived