[BBC News]Teenagers shun voter registration

Newsbot

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Only one in nine of the Isle of Man's 16-year-olds have grabbed their chance to register as voters.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/5356042.stm

Nice to see we're up there with the world's most successful democracies:

"...in countries such as Brazil, Cuba, Nicaragua and Serbia, 16-year-olds have the vote."

x-in-man Posted Today, 02:48 PM

No doubt it would have included a powerpoint presentation, flow diagrams, brain storm sessions and a Plenary.

You're no longer allowed to call it that! The PC brigade are afraid that it might offend someone with a mental disorder - therefore, you're supposed to call it 'mind showering'! And I kid you not!

As for votes for 16 & 17 year-olds - no offence, but I'm surprised as many as 200 have bothered to register. I think there may be a small, narrow core of intelligent young people who are genuinely interested, but I'm sure that most of them won't vote unless they can text their choice.

It's a populist measure which will, I hope, seriously backfire on the muppets who supported it.

narrow core of intelligent young people who are genuinely interested

It's not just intelligent people who are interested in politics etc.

And I think the whole 'lowering the voting age' generally has backfired, I hadn't heard any/many people saying that they wish the age would be lowered. But hey, I only talk to a handful of the 16-17 year olds.

As usual BBC get it wrong.

they say IOM 16 year olds are youngest voters in Eu. We aren't in the EU.

Second 16 yera olds get votes in municipla elections in Germany and Austria

Thirdly which democracy gives youngest votes, it's that well known axis of evil Iran

and in most households who fills out the one form, its adult parents who get it wrong

We're supposed to register? :unsure: I think that a mini leaflet should be handed out to the teenagers who are now allowed to vote, explaining how the system works etc. As the majority of us don't really have a clue!!

We got forms posted months ago asking if any under 18's were in the house and wanted to register.

Perhaps you should write to the chief minister telling him the dog ate your's.

return of the election registration forms and subsequent attendance at the polling station should be a compulsory requirement for all residents...

Only if there are two extra boxes on the ballot paper

one for write in candidates

the other for "None of The Above"

If NOTA wins then no one gets elected in that constituency

An interesting concept but needs expanding.

So no one gets elected.

Presumably we have another election, and another, and another until someone does get elected. Have you seen the House of Keys when they are trying to get someone elected to the Legislative Council? It can take over a dozen ballots to get someone upstairs!

Anyway enough of all this election stuff - who was the best Agnetha or Frida?

mmhh, interesting. So a house of Keys of 23.

It would make people react alright.

I believe the word 'Keys' derives from a word meaning 24. They will have to find a new name for The House!

NOTA - I like the idea!

Some might say, and hope, with a bit of luck none!

No new legislation, no political interference

get back some sanity and stability

Archived