Manx Legal System. Stinks Again

Theskeat

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't agree more with you . I could not believe what i have just read. What the hell was Miles Walker playing at and then for Robin Oake to stand up for this unbalanced thug. O' of course, he must of found god if it has anything to do with Robin Oake!

If I had one pint too many I would be put in prison, yet attempted murder I would get a suspended prison sentence.......but then again if my name was Cowley, I might then get away with it.

Its the same old story , its who you know not what you know- corrupt fucking government and courts!

Like to see some or any lesser mortal try that one and see if they get away with it.

I can just see it.

Someone with a criminal record beating the crap out of someone after rendering them unconcious then joining the local Sunday School Group being set as the norm for a Suspended Sentence now.

I don't think so some how.

Totally disgusting in my view and should be appealed.

But does anyone know Mr Montgomerie is in the Masons?

I saw Henry Callow deal with someone who had pulled the "I am on the square stuff", I think he got a stiffer sentence for his temerity

Criticising judges is all well and good if we have all the facts. We don't.

Acting Deemster would have all the statements, from the aggreived, the accused and independent witnesses, he would have social enquiry and probation reports, psychiatric reports, testimonials.

He has a sentencing tarrif laid down with discounts for guilty plea, co operation etc.

It was serious, it warranted a stiff prison sentence, that is what the Defendant got.

Then he looks at what he has done since, has he genuine remorse and has he "repented", and he suspends it.

If the Defendant is a shit who dose not deserve and will shortly break the law again, then he will go to prison when he breaks the law, not only for the next offence, but this offence.

We really need a proper debate about penal policy.

The IOM sends more people per head of population to prison for less serious offences than anywhere in or adjacent to Europe except Turkey. Not something to be proud of.

Our crime rate is a third of that in England and Wales, less crime in absolute terms, less serious crime, but more people sent to prison. Why?

If we had a real penal policy, didn't send drink drivers and social inadequates and the homeless to prison, we would have perhaps 20 to 30 maximum prisoners, real bad people who you can only deal with through prison because of public safety, or whose offence is such that policy demands a prison sentence.

If we did that we would not need a new prison at Jurby. We could knock through the existing cells at Victoria Road and make them en suite in the existing prison. There wouldn't be the need for playing fields because there would not be enough for one side let alone two to play each other. It isn't to do with inadequate buildings or regimes, it is about putting too many people in there.

We could free up a fortune and direct it at reahabilitation of drugs and alcohol addicts. Drink Drivers could be made to give up their weekends to go into a weekend hostel, every weekend, for educational work on the evils of drink driving etc.

What is really shocking is that we are bulding a prison for 140, the present prison was built for about 50 and can hold 80 at a push, do the maths, who else they intending locking up.

The only penal policy we have at present is a stipendiary magistrate who seems detrmined to imprison whom he can and then being racist, or at least very undiplomatic, about the police and penal institutions of friendly European countries.

I wonder if anyone has told the Polish Embassy of his anti Polish Criminal Justice system jibes. I'm really surprised he has not started a serious diplomatic incident

Finally, and I'm aware this is a long post, if A D Montgomerie got oit wrong the attorney General, whose office has the files and all the information can appeal. Leave it to them.

No probs with long posts like that. Some good points.

Maybe the crime rate is low because there is a bigger threat of prison?

A bit like the incinerator needs lots of waste to keep it ticking over efficiently maybe the Jurby prison will need a full house to keep itself running?

The IOM sends more people per head of population to prison for less serious offences than anywhere in or adjacent to Europe except Turkey. Not something to be proud of.

Our crime rate is a third of that in England and Wales, less crime in absolute terms, less serious crime, but more people sent to prison. Why?

Perhaps the lower crime rate is influenced by the high number or prison sentences. I'd think twice about committing a crime if I was to be made to spend a month in prison, rather than slapped with a sticker saying 'ASBO'. Note that I am not at all stating that this could be the only factor for a lower crime rate, and we are quite lucky on the island.

I agree with? Thieawin and have posted much along the same lines on that dangerous driving thread. That, however, is not a comment on the sentencing in the present case, I do not know anything about it and so would not comment on this specific case.

But, prison should be where people are sent who are a real danger to the fabric of society, either because of their violence or continual disregard for the law of the land. Prison does not rehabilitate; if anything, it probably reinforces criminal behaviour and attitudes. The people we send to prison should really be those that we do not want walking around, imposing custodial sentences too widely could have the effect of producing more recidivists rather than reducing them.

Perhaps the lower crime rate is influenced by the high number or prison sentences. I'd think twice about committing a crime if I was to be made to spend a month in prison, rather than slapped with a sticker saying 'ASBO'. Note that I am not at all stating that this could be the only factor for a lower crime rate, and we are quite lucky on the island.

Alias, the very fact that you state that you would think before committing a crime explains why prison is often not a deterrent. A number of studies has shown that criminals do not weigh up the risk/gain of a crime before they commit, one of the characteristics of the criminal mind is the belief that they will never get caught.

And the Defendants Uncle is----------------------- Captain of the Parish and No 1 In the Southern Freemasons Lodge.

...explains it all...

Years ago I was attacked in a nightclub by one of the bouncers. My wife, who was pregnant at that time was punched in the face by a drunk. The bouncer thought it was me that had caused the trouble, and decided to put me in a head lock and throttle me until I was unconscious. He then banged my head on the floor, and started kicking my head. I woke up in hospital.

The next day several people got in touch with me to say they had witnessed the attack, and were prepared to make statements. I went to the Police and reported the incident. All the witnesses gave their statements.

I was called to the Police Station a couple of weeks later and was informed that the charges were being dropped. When I enquired as to why this was, although the witnesses had all given the same story, and that it was an unprovoked attack, I was told 'lack of evidence'.

I was not happy with this and made enquiries as to who this bouncer was. Apparently I was not the first person he had done this to. Allegedly, he was the son of a very senior Manx Police Officer.

I was working in my brother’s pub at the time. I was in the middle of serving a guy one night, when my wife interrupted the guys order to inform me that he was the bouncer that had attacked me. I took great pleasure in telling him that he was not getting served, and to leave the premises. He made some idle threats, but left when I threatened to call the Police.

I was sickened reading about the recent attack. This is not justice, and simply a case of knowing the right people. More than likely it would be his father with the contacts.

I lost all faith in the Manx Police after my attack, I am sure there will be lots of other people who read about the recent attack and feel similar.

Rab

But, prison should be where people are sent who are a real danger to the fabric of society, either because of their violence or continual disregard for the law of the land.

Such as this lad who nearly killed someone for seemingly nowt? I'd prefer this twat to be locked up than roaming the streets looking for another victim.

I was attacked, unprovoked, by some arsehole a couple of years back. I was too pissed to defend myself but fortunate enough to have someone there to save me otherwise who knows what would've happened?

These people are scum and dont deserve to live with the rest of society.

Hang on, how can they say hes reformed, hes only just been released from prison for hiding a murdered woman under his bed (sick), what sort of moron could have done that, what happens to the next person he decides to choke to near death, Will that over rated milkman Mr Walker stand up again and say hes a fine peace loving man and give him another chance, Oh yes and it was Mr Walker thats stood up and said Mrs Neds the most trusting woman on Man.

The mans been conected to murder and near murder twice in less than 5 years, The AG has to apeal the sentence, but he wont hes Mr Walkers mate for fuck sake.

Archived