[BBC News]North West weekly newspaper folds

Newsbot

Not sure about whether you can get it on the IOM, but I have seen it here in Lancs.... we sell it in the shop I work in. (Preston)

Given the popularity of the LEP in Preston and strong sales by other regional newspapers (including the IOM News papers), I think it was always a difficult market to break into. By choosing such a widely different audience it would be difficult to pick up strong local brand loyalty. I use the internet to catch up with Preston news and imagine an increasing number of people do the same to pick up news from areas where they use to live, again reducing the USP for a regional newspaper. Having grown up in a family newsagents, I know a lot of people buy their local paper for the local gossip and sports results, as well as a national newspaper of preference. This one appears to have spread itself to thinly to compete at that level.

A shame to see any business go under though. I wonder how they would have faired if they had launched it as a free newspaper such as the Metro and the two recent London newspapers.

Bought it twice, once at Anagh Car stores and once on Duke Street

Its flag said it covered .Lancahire...the Isle of Man... etc

There was no Manx coverage, or very little and it was even older and more out of date than the Examiner or MR

I was aware of this newspaper and that it's in trouble. But I didn't know that it covered the Isle of Man. I've never noticed it in the newsagents either. I hope it pulls through. Check out my blog, Strive Notes for frequent updates about the media.

Whey hey. First post is an advert. Well done.

We look forward to getting further adverts from you.

Its called viral marketing (but then you know that don't you)

Thank you!

Excellent debate! A tad cynical, but still, it's great to everyone discussing the media industry and journalism in general

Advert number two. Well done.

Do you actually have anything to add other than happy, clappy, media garbage-phrases like "it's great to everyone discussing the media industry and journalism in general".

It will be "You're all so amazing" next, and we will just be induced to vomit.

(PS: Thank you for applauding us proles for debating the media. Usually its just wife-beating, or chasing sheep around. But the media just cropped up and we thought we'd have a go)

Archived