Cloud Nine - Mt - Cable And Wireless

local skeet

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

all this, lets be part of the uk licencing etc.why? no geunienly i want to know why you think that would help? are you forgetting that the isle of man is seperated from england by a lot of water. say vodafone or oranges uk licence applied the same here do you think they will bother to setup a network here with decent coverage? i think not

Here is a scenario for you, in the uk, if your on a Voda Sim and you loose coverage you don’t roam onto another network like O2.

So what happens if, your on a Cloud 9 sim and your in an area where they don’t have coverage, tough. So how many people would be willing to have poor island coverage for slightly cheaper calls? At least with MT the coverage is, in my opinion rather good, I doubt the other operators are willing to spend the money on infrastructure to match it, I suspect they will concentrate on been cheep and offering a mediocre service and saying though you pay for what you get, rather than being accountable for there service levels and trying to improve them

all this, lets be part of the uk licencing etc.why? no geunienly i want to know why you think that would help? are you forgetting that the isle of man is seperated from england by a lot of water. say vodafone or oranges uk licence applied the same here do you think they will bother to setup a network here with decent coverage? i think not

You're making a very good point. Manx Telecom certainly have set up a very good network in the years since cell phones, and GSM in particular, first began to become popular. You might be right. I rather like Manx Telecom and have nearly always been impressed with their service and the helpful people who work for them.

On the other hand - the cost of extending a network and increasing coverage is now less than it was when GSM first arrived. And cell phones are now ubiquitous. Which partly explains the new arrivals. If (IF!) local licencing was now phased - out and the existing UK networks were now allowed to extend their UK networks to cover the IOM under their existing UK licences .... well it would only be a matter of them installing the kit to provide the coverage. In particular they wouldn't have the costs involved or the need to set up special local companies and IOM specific billing systems.

Perhaps other network coverage would be fairly patchy. But most of the UK and European operators now provide relatively good coverage even in remote and under populated rural areas. I don't particularly see any reason why it would be any different on the IOM. Coverage would improve over time. And our other networks would effectively be subsidised by users in the UK.

AND ... I can't really imagine O2 switching off their existing MT network. I'm fairly certain that if local licencing was phased - out then O2 would choose to incorporate their MT network into the existing UK O2 network. They'd probably still be the network of choice for many people on the IOM.

EDIT: I'm sure that there are lots of holes in my argument

EDIT: one could argue that phasing out licensing wouldn't be fair given that MT have invested so much installing the network, billing system etc during the years when this all cost more to do than it would now. Then again - BT (and MT on the IOM) derived huge benefit from inheriting the previously state funded GPO (Post Office) networks.

EDIT: one could argue that phasing out licensing

Is it a licensing issue though? The Comms Commission has granted licenses to the new mobile operators.

I think the license consists of one part that says the Comms Commission recognizes them as a Telecoms Company/Service Provider and the second part is the actual frequency allocation from Ofcom. Presumably if Vodaphone or Orange wanted a license they could have applied too? I used to think MT's license prevented mobile competition but I think this has never been the case - it must just be that they're not arsed. In some ways I would imagine it's perhaps easier to get a license here (e.g. 3G/HSDPA) than on the UK mainland - the obvious downside is the comparatively small market.

EDIT: one could argue that phasing out licensing

Is it a licensing issue though? The Comms Commission has granted licenses to the new mobile operators.

That's rather different from UK operators being allowed to extend their UK networks such that they cover the IOM seemlessly.

My understanding has always been that if, for example, Vodaphone bought an IOM licence: then they could use it to launch an IOM Vodaphone. But I've always understood that local (IOM) licencing prevents them from being allowed to extend their existing UK network to seemlessly cover the IOM.

If the local licence does allow companies to extend their UK networks to cover the IOM then imo O2 have got a bit of cheek continuing to run MT Pronto as a different network just because they can.

Cloud9 is tapping into an untapped market, voip over mobile.

The information is still sketchy as to what the Cloud9 offering will include. It sounds like they are providing a free "Internet Caller" for each mobile subscriber which could be a VoIP account de-coupled from the actual mobile/handset, still, potentially a good offer.

It would be good if they were doing something with the latest voip-over-mobile stuff like UMA/IMS/3GPP.

The Nokia E series have SIP clients that work with SIP providers and WiFi - but the general concerns with WiFi security remain. I've used SIP on my i-Mate over WiFi and while it works fine, it's not exactly the most seamless of solutions.

This guy has a good blog on the latest developments in VoIP over Mobile.

On the laxey to Ramsey coast road, I can pick up all the UK signals, What stops them boosting that signal across the island?, Adding another couple of masts?

The Radio Communications Agency/Ofcom - Clickety Thing = Ofcom who have a strangle hold on the Communications Commision/Division here on the Isle of Man...

Last 10

Archived