Cloud Nine - Mt - Cable And Wireless

local skeet

When C&W and Cloud9 get going, will anyone switching from MT be able to take their existing number with them?

Who owns the 07624 3xxxxx and 4xxxxx numbers. Is it MT or the communications commission?

See here

07624 Numbers

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/telecoms/ioi/numbe...nistered/s7.xls

7624 0 Manx Telecom

7624 1 Manx Telecom

7624 2 Cable and Wireless Isle of Man Limited

7624 3 Manx Telecom

7624 4 Manx Telecom

7624 5 Manx Telecom

7624 6 Manx Telecom

7624 7 Manx Telecom

7624 8 Manx Telecom

7624 9 Manx Telecom

Thanks Concrete.

Wonder why MT have been allocated 900,000 potential mobile numbers!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When C&W and Cloud9 get going, will anyone switching from MT be able to take their existing number with them?

Who owns the 07624 3xxxxx and 4xxxxx numbers. Is it MT or the communications commission?

See here

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/telecoms/ioi/numbe...red/sabcde2.xls

01624 Numbers...

1624 60 Manx Telecom

1624 61 Manx Telecom

1624 62 Manx Telecom

1624 63 Manx Telecom

1624 64 Manx Telecom

1624 65 Manx Telecom

1624 66 Manx Telecom

1624 67 Manx Telecom

1624 68 Manx Telecom

1624 69 Manx Telecom

1624 70 Free

1624 71 Manx Telecom

1624 72 Manx Telecom

1624 73 Free

1624 74 Free

1624 75 Free

1624 76 Free

1624 77 Free

1624 78 Free

1624 79 Free

1624 80 Manx Telecom

1624 81 Manx Telecom

1624 82 Manx Telecom

1624 83 Manx Telecom

1624 84 Manx Telecom

1624 85 Manx Telecom

1624 86 Manx Telecom

1624 87 Manx Telecom

1624 88 Manx Telecom

1624 89 Manx Telecom

07624 Numbers

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/telecoms/ioi/numbe...nistered/s7.xls

7624 0 Manx Telecom

7624 1 Manx Telecom

7624 2 Cable and Wireless Isle of Man Limited

7624 3 Manx Telecom

7624 4 Manx Telecom

7624 5 Manx Telecom

7624 6 Manx Telecom

7624 7 Manx Telecom

7624 8 Manx Telecom

7624 9 Manx Telecom

Porting of numbers is done between all UK mobile operators. I would bet that MT drag their feet on this one though, as it is not to their advantage. It should be interesting.

Porting of numbers is done between all UK mobile operators. I would bet that MT drag their feet on this one though, as it is not to their advantage. It should be interesting.

Does number portability exist in any form on the Island? The issue I guess is whether it is technically possible and whether MT are obliged to or not. That spreadsheet is an Ofcom one, but I believe the responsibility rests locally with the comms commission.

Does number portability exist in any form on the Island? The issue I guess is whether it is technically possible and whether MT are obliged to or not. That spreadsheet is an Ofcom one, but I believe the responsibility rests locally with the comms commission.

I guess it has never been required before. It is technically possible, although again MT could use this as their excuse, no doubt Cloud9 will offer them assistance having done it before. I know that UK operators are obliged, but who is responsible in IoM I am not sure? I think we will see quite a reduction from MT rates, especially in multiple mobile contract discounts, and international roaming. I have repeatedly requested this from MT, without any success. I see their new rates now include discount for multiple accounts, but I think too little too late.

The island only has 2 main telephone exchanges, both in Douglas, and all 10 "out of town" exchanges are satellites from them. Number portability of landline numbers has always been possible since the island went fully digital in the early 1990's, but MT never tell you that. There is no reason why, for example, if you move from Ramsey (81xxxx) to Sulby (89xxxx) you should be able to take your number with you.

see their new rates now include discount for multiple accounts, but I think too little too late.

My guess is MT gradually reduce the tariffs and offer new deals/bundles with time. They have the advantage over all the other companies given their fixed line customer base, mast coverage, local staff and knowledge of the local market. I get the impression C&W are going to pose the largest threat, I'm still not sure about Cloud9 though. The competition is just kicking MT into gear.

The island only has 2 main telephone exchanges, both in Douglas, and all 10 "out of town" exchanges are satellites from them. Number portability of landline numbers has always been possible since the island went fully digital in the early 1990's, but MT never tell you that. There is no reason why, for example, if you move from Ramsey (81xxxx) to Sulby (89xxxx) you should be able to take your number with you.

I was always under the impression it was a technical limitation. I can't really comment on whether it's true or not as I don't know the in's and out's of how MT route their voice traffic around. I would guess they just route the numbers in blocks of 10,000 to the exchange in question. In a way, everything is technically possible - but their operating practices, staff and current setup may not be suitable to do such a thing. I am sure this will change when their Lucent/NGN stuff is rolled out. I must admit, I like the fact numbers are tied to different parts of the Island.

It is a technical limitation of the current system.

The current digital phone system is over 15 years old and totally unsupported by Ericcson (Or anyone else) - perhaps MT just dont know how to do it and no-one will tell them otherwise.... MT have never really been inovators - They just buy in the next big thing and do as they're told.

anyone else had the cloud9 brochure in the post?

seems promising, it says in it MT have to transfer your existing number if you request it. Their "magic numbers" thing looks good too

www.cloud9.im

Yes, got one in the post today its good news that you can retain your old number if you choose to move.

Not to sure about the magic numbers thing as it only applies to other cloud 9 subscribers and is subject to their "fair use policy" whatever that means, same thing applies to the half price calls for a year it only applies to people on there network which I'm guessing is no one at the moment!

I cant see a single price in there entire brochure just some thing called tariff match so I guess that means they'll be the same price as MT,

I understand its a pre launch thing but it would have been nice to see some examples of there tarrifs, monthly costs, no. of free txts, mins and price of handsets etc.

Personaly I think I'll be sticking with MT for another year at least as my contract is due for renual and I need a new phone. I know there expensive (I get a bill every month!) but credit were its due I've never had any problems with their network and were ever I've been in the world with a mobile network my phone has always worked without a problem, I'd rather wait and let the new co's iron out any teething troubles, and hear some feed back before making a move.

Can the brochure be scanned for us all to see? :o ?

I am lead to believe that Cloud 9 and C&W have been given permission to use all of the IOM Government communications masts that are sited all around the Island, this should be a really big help to them (and us Joe Public) in mobile phone coverage terms.

MT must be crapping themselves about this competition :D

Last 10

Archived