Cloud Nine - Mt - Cable And Wireless

local skeet

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
IOM Government communications masts that are sited all around the Island

Are there any IOM govt communications masts ?

There's a few scattered round but I wouldn't say they provide the best coverage, hence why Manx Telecom have erected so many of their own on buildings, fields etc. The biggest issue I think will be the out of town areas, no point having a mobile network that dies when you go out of Douglas.

The towers include the smaller one on Douglas Head, one at Manx Radio, Jurby, Ballasaig, Peel Hill, Snaefell and a few others. The remaining towers are owned by National Grid Wireless, Arqiva and the Air-Traffic place (NATS?).

Can the brochure be scanned for us all to see? :o ?

I am lead to believe that Cloud 9 and C&W have been given permission to use all of the IOM Government communications masts that are sited all around the Island, this should be a really big help in to them (and us Joe Public) in mobile phone coverage terms.

MT must be crapping themselves about this competition :D

Last 10

I got a brochure today as well. I would scan it for you but it's about 4 or 5 sides of A4 long. I'm on dial up and it would take a while. Sorry

IOM Government communications masts that are sited all around the Island

Are there any IOM govt communications masts ?

Simon

I have a little bit of basic knowledge with these masts and I will have a go at listing them;

Carnane

Snaefell

Ballasaig (Maughold)

Jurby

Peel Hill

Mull Hill

Dalby

Beary

Plus many more local town satellite repeater stations, to be honest I think that most of the Island is very well covered with the TETRA infrastructure.

Last Ten

Free calls and Free texts to a couple of named numbers (Magic Numbers) sounds pretty good to me.

Most by texts usually go to the same person.

How are they getting Island-wide coverage? (That question also applies to C&W's mobile network)

Did the people receiving brochures register on the website? I registered ages ago but haven't had one of these brochures yet. I almost re-newed with MT as I'd not heard anything from Cloud9. Might hang fire for a while till I see one of these brochures.

Did the people receiving brochures register on the website? I registered ages ago but haven't had one of these brochures yet. I almost re-newed with MT as I'd not heard anything from Cloud9. Might hang fire for a while till I see one of these brochures.

bazza

I also registered on the Cloud 9 website and have not had a brochure, I love the idea of you also being able to transfer your moby number as well - COMPETITION IS THE SPICE OF LIFE :P

Last Ten

It should be great when it finally gets up and running.

Just been back to their site tonight because of this thread and seen the "Extra Bundles" and the "Free Calls" to other Cloud9 customers - so that will be free calls between me, the misses, the daughter and the parents. What will I need to pay for? And if I do need to call someone outside the cloud they claim it will be cheaper than MT anyway.

The renewal of your annual contract and the golden carrot of you can have a brand new mobile for doing so does nothing for me, most of us know by now that you can buy relatively cheap mobile phones on the internet from the likes of play.com for a fraction of what MT would charge you :angry:

MT will now be watching very carefully at what Cloud9 and C&W are doing, which is all good for you and me and all mobile phone users on the Island.

Last Ten

Free calls and Free texts to a couple of named numbers (Magic Numbers) sounds pretty good to me.

Most by texts usually go to the same person.

How are they getting Island-wide coverage? (That question also applies to C&W's mobile network)

By putting base stations all over the Island I would imagine. Unlike more traditional radio GSM is not deployed on just mast sites. Masts tend to be to far away from the punters talking on their handsets, while coverage remains high capacity is low with this approach.

I am no expert but I suspect both companies will be deploying cells on top of buildings and bunging the landlord some sort of carrot for the trouble.

MT must be crapping themselves about this competition :D

Last 10

C&W must be crapping themselves about what MT will do

C&W must be crapping themselves about what Cloud9 will do

Cloud9 must be crapping themselves about what MT will do

Cloud9 must be crapping themselves about what C&W will do

:lol:

Did I leave anyone out ;)

Oh yeah,

The government might be crapping themselves about the time in the future when the 3 operators announce redundancies....or one of them goes bust.... ;)

The renewal of your annual contract and the golden carrot of you can have a brand new mobile for doing so does nothing for me, most of us know by now that you can buy relatively cheap mobile phones on the internet from the likes of play.com for a fraction of what MT would charge you :angry:

MT will now be watching very carefully at what Cloud9 and C&W are doing, which is all good for you and me and all mobile phone users on the Island.

Last Ten

Let's hope you still think so when everyone decides that the island's telecom pie's not quite big enough and the new kids on the block float back off into the sunset leaving you playing with your cheap phone.

We've lost shipping companies in the past, airlines and independent newspapers. Can we now look forward to losing 'our' telecom company, radio stations, engineering companies and local supermarkets.

Isn't competition just fine and dandy? :huh:

'Healthy' competition can prove to be decidedly unhealthy on a small island such as this.

Whenever I've needed help and contacted Manx Telecom, I've been met with consideration and first rate attention, so I'll be sticking with our proven 'local' company, thank you.

The attitude of slating and abandoning reliable local companies is plain silly. Loss of Manx Telecom would mean loss of reliable long-term jobs and loss of proven commitment and investment on this island.

That's worth thinking about isn't it?

Archived