Rick Wakeman

Stu Peters

Just got back from an absolutely fantastic show 'An Evening With Rick Wakeman' in a heated marquee at The Nunnery. Just RW and an electric grand piano.

Admittedly I'm a fan, and he's of my 'era' of classic rock, but even so I was quite saddened to see so many empty seats - no wonder so few promoters here are prepared to take the chance.

Candy Acheson and Joanna Wilson (Blunt Promotions) did a great job - what a shame more people didn't come along to see a virtuoso musician playing 'unplugged' and telling some great stories.

Seems that 'attitude' is more important than substance and musicianship these days, which is a shame.

Can I just say that I knew nothing of this - perhaps the promoters need to do some promoting?

Sorry, but it's a real bee in my bonnet at times - so much that happens over here goes by unnoticed until after the event.

Glad you had a good evening though. :)

I think you're right Mission, there could have been more publicity. I only noticed a banner on a railing down at the airport a week ago (although I saw a few more at QB and other places during the week).

I invited Candy and Joanna to appear on Mandate on Friday morning, and repeated that interview on my Saturday night show with a couple of RW tracks. Chatting to Ron Berry last night, he said he'd given it a few mentions on 3FM (whatever THAT is) through the week...but I think a lot of potential punters wouldn't have heard or seen anything.

If you're a fan, I got a cracking interview which I'll be playing - along with some classic Wakeman tracks - next Saturday night between 9-10pm.

I'm a big fan of wakeman and Yes, I've been to pretty much every concert he's played over here. I was only aware of this one on Friday and by then I'd made other arrangements. The promoters definately need to promote more. Roadside signs are no use if they're not big enough to read.

Also a great fan, in fact just bought one of those new 'CD' things of Topographic Ocean, which I love and Rick hates.

Didn't consider going because I made a presumption that with it being at the Nunnery, it was probably a Nina type charity love-in for the local luvvies and great and good of the Island, rather than a proper prog rock concert.

Damn.

I'd seen a couple of the roadside banners but they were fairly small and almost impossible to read as you were driving by. I think I managed to glean 'Rick Wakeman... concert.... £28....' (correct me if I'm wrong) and that was about it. After you've driven past the info is generally lost in the normal proceedings of the day and, to be honest, I can't actually recall reading either the time or location so, like other posters, I'm afraid the advertising seems to have let it down.

Archived