Free Wifi

willstain

I don't know if it's been mentioned before but there is an organisation that is spreading free WiFi world wide. In order to use it you have to provide a WiFi link from your home, you have to buy their router which costs 5 euros (Plus VAT & P&P) which comes to £12 in total. I have just ordered mine after reading the stuff on their site and will keep you posted. Meantime, take a look at their site and see if you feel it's a good idea.

click here

It's a brill idea, but I think you do have to be careful you're not breaking the terms of your adsl contract.

I've never seen/not got one for MT so dont know what their terms are.

Yes ISP 's are non too happy about this and claim you are breaking their terms

Yes ISP 's are non too happy about this and claim you are breaking their terms

I'm not too sure on that. If you don't charge people for accessing the service it's hard to see what terms you are breaking. Verizon in the US have the condition "it is against the terms of service for subscribers to share their connection outside their own home location". This was mentioned in the following article

Forbes.com - Hold The FON

Trying to enforce the T&C is very, very difficult too and may not be even worth the while. And that is talking as an ISP

Free WiFi in Sea Terminal. I spent a happy hour yesterday morning with my PDA surfing the web and sending emails. Cost, nil. All legal. This service is provided for the general public. No passwords needed. There are other public spots in Douglas I have been told, but not used them yet. Many libraries in UK, Peterborough as an example, have free WiFi access but you sometimes need to ask for a password.

No, it would be traceable to your ip, not you. I'm using your IP now unisol on this forum, and I could commit a crime using your ip, you wouldn't get nicked for it. It would then have to be proven that it was you commited the fine, the ip address isn't enough.

Not true Slim ... your IP is unique as long as you are logged onto your ISP as a private user ... just supposing someone d/ld some kiddy stuff from your IP ... PC plod would then need some explaining to and whether they proved it or not it could still be kinda embarrassing when they take away your PC to check it for what they thought might be on it.

Archived