Sneeze-free Cats Go On Sale

Amadeus

Sneeze-free cats go on sale

The World's first hypoallergenic cats have gone on sale in the US, pleasing pet lovers who are prone to the sniffles.

Researchers promise the cats will not cause the red eyes, sneezing and even asthma that some cat allergy sufferers experience, except in the most acute cases.

There is already a waiting list for the cuties, despite them carrying a hefty $3,950 (£2,100) price tag.

US biotech firm Allerca said it has managed to selectively breed them by reducing a certain type of protein that triggers allergic reactions.

kittens092406xlgbo8.jpg

Now then, MCB - any chance for some research into a poo-free dog? :)

The more I read the link from Amadeus, the more ridiculous I think it is.

IMHO some of the bio-tech stuff is going way too far, don't think it's even in the realms of sci-fi some of the mutations that might happen from messing with this stuff.

From Amadeus's link

"One of the primary reasons that cats are unfortunately given up for adoption or go to shelters is because people are really highly allergic"

Wouldn't potential responsible pet owners check for this before commiting themselves?

Next thing some 'smart' bio-tech startup will come up with pepper that doesn't make you sneeze, or onions that won't make you cry when you peel them!!!!

- Mind you though - I have a couple of dogs - lurchers - these have been selectively bred over generations to be a 'mixture' of fast 'sighthound' type dog, with other breeds often such as sheepdog for a mixture of "intelligence as well as speed" so that they are more inclined to be better hunters - but this has happened over many, many generations, done for survival of our species as well as that of the breed - not for vanity or commercial reasons. - Am I contradicting myself here?

Maybe it would be better to bio-engineer humans so they could cope with the 'real world' rather than the other way round???

Found Modey's link very interesting - quite grotesque even 'frankensteinesque" looking things - couldn't really work out if the product is trying to promote the biotech industry or scare us away!

Yay - Gremlins!

Don't ever get him wet.

Keep him away from bright light.

And the most important thing, the one thing you must never forget: no matter how much he cries, no matter how much he begs . . . never, never feed him after midnight.

Blimey, that's from 1984 - time flies....

Archived