Port Jack Chippy Back Up To Top Quality

Manx Track cars

Didnt it used to be run chinese people...hardly surprising the chips were crap...chinese can never do nice chips.

Glad to hear its better now :)

Have you never been to the New Hong Kong in Douglas.

Best

Chips

Ever

Although all of the other Chinese takeaways do crappy frozen chips.

The New Hong Kong.

I was walking past there one day and this bloke drew up in a van and delivered these sacks with round things in them called potatoes. They had soil on them I reckon and looked like they had been on or even in the ground.

What's them I said and he said "thay're spuds fer the chips" and I said "Hey man, chips come in plastic bags with ice on them" and he said "not in this shop they don't laddie"

So I tested them out and they tok the brown and muddy skin off and it was white and they chopped them up and they put them in oil and cooked them and the bloke behind the counter always says Hi!

So then I knew you see.

and another time there were building workers in there from Oldham or the likes drunk trying to say he was a foreigner and I said Hey mate, no need for that this man is providing a service and enjoys the Isle of Man and we like him and his family but we don't like people here who come to cause trouble and be drunk all the time. I was a bit wasted but I wasn't going to have any of that messing with people who give proper spuds to you and pleasant.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol @ Night Shift, what evil witchery is this of which ye speak, chips from potatoes? Lol, lol......

Of course, contrary to the belief that one must use animal fats, the (not very) secret to top notch chips is in the blanching thereof. (that's previous par cooking to the uninformed). One should at least half cook the chips then remove from the frier and allow to go stone cold, ideally overnight. They are then short cooked for a second time to give perfect crispy chips. Beautiful! A good chippy has bucketloads of half cooked chips prepared in advance. I suspect the New Hong Kong chef understands this which is why the chips there are so good. (incidentally the chinese food, though not the cheapest around, is also excellent). Years ago there was a small chippy at Little Switzerland that used this method and went for a really thin cut. Superb!!

Port Jack is being run by Charlotte, daughter of the terrace chip shop owner ;)

As for Chinese people making chips - IMHO they are not chips as we know them, they do it all wrong, they taste totally different - sort of aunt bessies roast potatoes gone wrong. ...That said you can't beat half chips & half rice with a take away chinese curry.

Propper 100% Chips are british made in a chip shop from Maris Piper potatoes =- end of. and at 15stone I KNOW!

Haven't been to the 'new version' of the Port Jack, but I had no problems at all with the previous 'Chinese' owners - went there a few times and must say the friendly service was excellent and I would say the place was certainly 'clean enough'.

The quality of the chips probably could have been better, but I will reserve judgement until my next visit!

I certainly don't accept a previous post claiming 'Chinese can't make chips' - in my experience this is certainly not true, and there is certainly something more special in the gravy on chips from a Chinese owned place that I haven't found yet in any other 'chippies'.

Anyone remember "Fong's" on Victoria Street (think it shut down early 90's)?

Before I turned veggie for a decade or so, I could quite honestly say they served up the best ever burger & chips I had ever experienced, although the original 'Dickies' in Port St Mary could do some fantastic chips!

However, I do totally wish I had my grandmothers 'chip recipe' - haven't known anything as good as 'Grannies Chip Butties', if I found anywhere that made chips the same, I think I would be at least 20 stone heavier, or dead - with a huge smile of course...

The secret to good Chip shop chips is down to several things:

1. The quality of the potatoes and type

2. The range and the type of burners to evenly heat the oil in the large 'pans'

3. The chips are put in and then removed after 30 secs - the heat allowed to get back up to what it was and then the chips are put back in BUT this now may not be needed with the new ranges being so efficient in keeping the heat at a fixed temprature.

I used to go out with a girl in a chippy - don't knock it, all the free batter bits and pea juice on yer chips and when you got in the sack at night the waft of chips and vinigar..mmm heaven :D;)

I'd agree with Matty that the Chinese can make chips, just not all of them. Same as not all "English" or Manx run chippies make good chips. Depends on how the places are run.

As a kid growing up in a Northern mill town my favourite chippy was run by the Kong's, one of the only local Chinese families at the time (youngest son was my best mate in primary school). Their grown-up kids still run the place now, 35 years later, and it's the first place I go to when I go across to visit family, you just can't beat their chips and fishbits (batterbits to others). They even do some Chinese food now!!!!

I'd disagree with Matty on 'Dickies' though - his chips were cooked in animal fat and were anaemic. It's spot-on now though in it's current form. Well recommended.

I'd disagree with Matty on 'Dickies' though - his chips were cooked in animal fat and were anaemic. It's spot-on now though in it's current form. Well recommended.

Dickies in Port St Mary (the original one anyway) was undoubtedly the best for fish and chips I think. The queue in there used to be right out of the door it was that good.

Dickies in Port St Mary (the original one anyway) was undoubtedly the best for fish and chips I think. The queue in there used to be right out of the door it was that good.

totally agree, in it's hey day, the chips were the best, people came from far and wide

to sample the fatty little miracles.

his son took it over and it went crap but it's been taken over again and is definitely

on the up.

Voted best on the IOM this year in Chip Shop Owner methinks

myself and my daughter popped in to the terrace tonight for onion rings and chips and oh my god.. a young girl with really awful pink lipstick (and a really awful attitude) was having a bad day... she explained that the chips were still being cooked so I thought she'll still take my order...

So I carried on looking at her and she barked yet again ' i've already said the chips are still cooking'... well to my daughters embarrasment (she's 12 nearly 13!!) i explained that i thought she was waiting for my order and money so she new what i wanted when the chips were ready!!

the other girl serving just started laughing and I asked if her mate was having a bad day... she just giggled nervously...

Got the chips and they were those god damn awful aneamic looking chips, well what was the point, i could have gone to the islander.

Tried to be nice though cos i don't want any hog in my batter! :angry:

Won't be rushing there again

Have you never been to the New Hong Kong in Douglas.

Best

Chips

Ever

Haven't been there in ages, but last time I did (just to show how long ago this was) the chips were cooked in dripping, or so I thought. If we were meant to have chips cooked in oil, potatoes would come with dipsticks :whistling:

Many moons ago, when I was a wee delivery boy, I learned the secret behind the wonderful New Hong Kong chips: they simply fry them within 1 minute of being ready during the day, let them cool in little stacks of 'drawers' & then flash-fry them in a wok for a minute after the order has been placed.

The other Chinese takeaways did the same before they surrendered to the evil convenience of the frozen chipped spud.

Sounds like bad customer service again. What is it with shop workers. Their attitude stinks and I am sick to death of it. People should have training if they are to work in shops on how to be pleasant to the customer. If the customer is rude then fine, just smile at them and ask, maybe your in a bad mood because you have worms!!! ha ha

Chip shops have been on a downward slope since they did away with the newspaper wrappers. The sausages are rank at all chip shops, profit over quality I think its called. The Waverly chippy used to be great, its a chinese now. We dont ever have chippy teas anymore, because the food is nasty and gives me (and my youngest) untold illness the following day - the other 2 in our household must have guts of iron as they are unaffected by the slimey sausages and white chips.

Archived