Biometric Passports

x-in-man

I noted the bit about 'friends' and so I am duly doing.

I think I can count you all as friends.

Message from the Passport Office.

The Passport Office would like to advise all Government personnel that the office will be closed on the following days

Thursday 5 October 2006

Friday 6 October 2006

Monday 9 October 2006

This is to allow the passport system to be converted to issue bio-metric passports. During this period the Passport Office will be unable to accept any passport applications, including emergency passport applications and will be unable to produce passports.

The above information will be advertised in the local media over the next week and the Passport Office would also be grateful if Government employees could bring this information to the attention of any family or friends whom they know to be travelling in the near future. Any person intending to travel in the near future should check to ensure that they are in possession of a full valid passport and should be aware that many countries require at least 6 months validity on their passport. There is no need for holders of non bio-metric passports to replace those passports until they are near to the expiry date

Once the Passport Office starts to issue bio-metric passports it should be noted that it will take longer to produce a passport so applicants should apply well in advance. Any lost or stolen passports should be reported as soon as possible to the Passport Office.

If you require any information on this matter or during the period of closure please call 685208.

Chief Secretary

A link to the Passport Office website:

http://www.passport.gov.uk/general_biometrics.asp

What worries me far more is the highly intrusive UK ID card scheme which has hardly been discussed here in the Isle of Man.

Anyone know more?

I've been in Switzerland since mid-1989, had an ID card all the time and used it maybe once or twice. It proves who I am, much better than the problems involved when trying to open an account with a Manx building society - passport, utility bills, etc.

We can use these for cross-border travel, it's a good and simple solution.

I've been in Switzerland since mid-1989, had an ID card all the time and used it maybe once or twice.

You are not comparing like with like. The issue with the UK ID card scheme is its link with National Identity Register (NIR). The UK Government is planning a massive database of information on every citizen. Civil servants accross the board will have access to it. Your life will no longer be private.

It won't work in the Isle of Man but there will be issues which may change the Manx way of life.

I've been in Switzerland since mid-1989, had an ID card all the time and used it maybe once or twice.

You are not comparing like with like. The issue with the UK ID card scheme is its link with National Identity Register (NIR). The UK Government is planning a massive database of information on every citizen. Civil servants accross the board will have access to it. Your life will no longer be private.

Just like Switzerland, life is fine here.

Archived