Little Gits Running Amok

Cret

All of the above ideas do have some merit but as we are talking about a large group of people a sniper isn't going to work as after the first few drop dead even they may sense that something is not quite right.

A shotgun requires you to get a little close and if there is a large number you could only hope to take a few down before they scatter.

I'd suggest a few of these with remote triggering.

mine-m18.gif

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Assuming 'giving them something to do' (a poor excuse at best for criminal behaviour - if they were held accountable for their actions then it would only be a tiny fraction that continue to do it) was the answer - what exactly would you give them to do?

It won't solve a thing because there's already shedloads for them to do, but each time you give them something they say they're bored with it within 5 minutes.

I believe they do it because they know they can freely get away with it. For instance -

If you take a child who is generally a pretty good sort and add him to a situation where there's lots of peer pressure to be 'cool/daring/naughty/show off' - ie a big gang of other kids with probably a handful of proper badly behaved ones for a bit of encouragement, and the fact that there's no comeback if they do something 'naughty' they won't see any harm in it.

I wanted to do things I shouldn't have when I was a child and the fear of being punished for doing it was enough to deter me well enough until I got to the point where I realised that you just shouldn't do bad things anyway (ie you grow up - a bit anyway!). Had that not been the case I might have turned into a less pleasant person.

If it's nipped in the bud early on by the autorities then it would stop in the vast majority of cases, ie normal decent kids being slightly led astray then getting a big bollocking for it & wishing they hadn't done it and learning a good lesson from it.

If on the other hand they do something bad & nothing happens, they learn that they can get away with it so they do it again because it's fun, and gradually the things they start to do get more serious and you end up with a genuine problem kid that thinks by the time they're an adult that they can do as they please, instead of someone who could have learnt that they can't get away without suffering the consequences of their actions

Probably because nothing really gets done about it so it's almost like encouragement to the wee scrotes when they can get drunk, smash a load of mirrors off cars, scratch some paint and then plan to do the same again next week.

That about sums it up really.

It's not the Police who are to blame for nothing being done. They can arrest them if an offence has been commited. It's the Courts in my view who let us down.

When they go to Court, the Legal Aid boff gets up and says that Little Jonnie has a social problem due to the fact the he never got an Action Man for xmas when he was 6 yrs old. He gets a slap on the legs and is let go to be a complete twat again and again untill he get to an Adult where he really fucks up and goes down for it big time.

When the damm do-gooders in the world wake up and smell the coffee realise that giving Little Jonnie a good sharp shock at an young age will in fact, hopefully, stop him being a tit, it will give him a better chance to sort himself out as he progresses into adulthood.

Untill then, I know whats on my xmas list ;)

Or why not go the whole hog, after all as the old saying goes, "Napalm sticks to babies."

Even better would be to bring in profiling for all adults teenagers of reproductive age to determine if they would bring their offspring up to respect others and the law. If it was shown that their kids would grow up to be Chavs or trouble causers then you could sterilise them there and then, thereby stopping the problem at source.

That would also free up council houses for those who actually needed them and save a fortune at the DHSS. :whistling:

I nearly choked when I heard the report on Manx Radio last night, although unlike Cret's referal to 3FM, Manx Radio said

Last Friday around 150 youngsters congregated at Nobles Park, and similar problems have been reported on the Promenade.

Sergeant Mark Britton says whilst the vast majority of those who congregate are well behaved, many are drinking alcohol underage and this often leads to acts of vandalism and fights.

My first thought was "My god... teenagers hanging around an open public area!" and roughly 100 yards from Police Headquarters to boot!

How many is 'many' and did the police turn up? Did they speak to the problem individuals? Did they seperate them from the sections of the group who were behaving in an acceptable manner? Did they contact parents directly?

Where is the meat from the bones of the report?

There is a perception that little or nothing positive is done in instances like this (as is highlighted in above posts) and what has this news report done except to perpetuate the perception? Where was the headline grabbing "This is the action taken to adress it" report? If the Police go wading in this week as they now appear to be warning the group, there will be an air of resentment as soon as the car pulls up alongside.

I'm disapointed that the public are of the belief that they can not involve themselves when seeing something untowards. If we don't want to confront individuals (quite rightly in many circumstances) then we shouldn't be resigned to the belief that phoning the Police is a waste of time. All this does is put the power into the hands of the ones who should be brought back down to earth rapidly.

[political bit] If you don't trust the police or your MHKs to look after your needs, then start harrassing me, Steve, Frank and the other candidates and ask us what the hell we are going to do to put the balance back into the hands of the socially responsible.

I've always thought that under the age of 16 it was the parents who were solely reponsible for the actions of their children? Lets get the parents in court and fined. They'll soon think twice about using the old excuse "I can't stop them doing it" when it hits their pockets.

I'm disapointed that the public are of the belief that they can not involve themselves when seeing something untowards.....................

The general public are usually told not to get involved though. We are told to leave it to the authorities.

If you want the general public to get involved I am sure there are many forum poster who have had property damaged, cars vandelised etc. (myself included) who would be more than happy to form a vigilante group and sort the problem out. Provided you can guarantee we will not be prosecuted.

It seems that the problem is that unless a crime is being committed, the police are powerless to do anything. And in a gang of 150 of them, how can you be sure of arresting the right one for drinking illegally.

I suggested to Sgt. Britton in our Mandate interview (yesterday) that the new police camera van should be used to gain evidence, and I believe it will. I also suggested that any rowdy types should be detained and have to wait for their parents to pick them up from the nick - but he said the police weren't allowed to do that. I honestly don't think some parents have any idea where and how their progeny are spending their time.

What we need is legislation to prevent gangs of more than (maybe) half a dozen forming. Probably only a small percentage are trouble-makers, but as someone has already said, the herd mentality then prevails. And 150 is more than all the coppers in Douglas could be expected to take on.

Finally, forget about our cops being more approachable - they're there to ensure law and order, not be bessie mates with every scally on the street. I've been out on the Prom with them, and admire that they do what they can with the resources, parents and laws we have. I couldn't do it - I'd be suspended after 5 minutes for putting manners on some of these gobby yobs...who it seems fully understand their rights, but not their responsibilities.

It all stems to the upsurge in lawyers making a mint from liability. Every government department or public services institution is shit scared of getting sued, so every eventuality is covered to not offend and protect every human right imaginable, and as such it makes a mockery of any laws in place.

The kids know it too, nothings gonna happen to them so there's no risk and if anyone does dare touch them or stick them in a cell - the tears come out and it's a fucking abomination against their human rights - "My little Gary would never do that! The poor little darling...."

I'd like to hear the liberal views on solving this problem, cos it sure ain't another skate park or education. The system has failed. Now fix it.

Compulsory National Service please.

So from starting this thread it seems that most of the responses - and they've generally been quite level headed - are along the lines of "yes we agree the system/law (not the police) - is an ass. We know that the law designed to protect decent people has been poisoned by so much political correctness and pettyness that it effectively is protecting the ones on the wrong"

So why can't this be asked to the populace on a full scale to see the result of what everyone thinks and hopefully get something done about it?

Please forgive my slightly simplistic outlook on it if I am missing some major point.

Archived