Speed Kills

lard

Times Online

Well at last that's official.

On Manx Radio this morning the matter was discussed when Stu Peters interviewed Captain "Cap'n" Douglas.

In true politician style Cap'n Douglas has realised his campaign with his chum Phil Braidwood to stealthily force in an all-island speed limit was flawed. It always was an unintelligent move to do this.

Like many people I believe the government should be raising standards of driving and driver awareness. From the interview this morning [clip will go here ] it looks like the masses have actually 'educated' a politician.

Is there an election coming up?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...his chum Phil Braidwood...

Good old Captain McCallister - "Arrr! I just want a friend who isn't a work friend!"

This is why the UK and the island is getting in such a mess. People should think and do a bit of research before opening their mouths, never mind instigating legislation.

For those too lazy to hit the link:

For fatal accidents the most frequently reported contributory factor was loss of control, which was involved in 35 per cent of road deaths.

By comparisson, exceeding the speed limit or going too fast for the conditions were reported as a contributory factor in 26 per cent of all fatal accidents, and only 15 per cent of all accidents involving injury.

Failure to look properly was the most frequently reported contributory factor and was involved in 32 per cent of all injury accidents. Five of the six most frequently reported contributory factors were some kind of driver or rider error or reaction.

Stop gloating, Amadeus!

For those too lazy to hit the link:

For fatal accidents the most frequently reported contributory factor was loss of control, which was involved in 35 per cent of road deaths.

By comparisson, exceeding the speed limit or going too fast for the conditions were reported as a contributory factor in 26 per cent of all fatal accidents, and only 15 per cent of all accidents involving injury.

Failure to look properly was the most frequently reported contributory factor and was involved in 32 per cent of all injury accidents. Five of the six most frequently reported contributory factors were some kind of driver or rider error or reaction.

Stop gloating, Amadeus!

And exceeding the speed limit was only a factor in 5% of accidents (the other 10% was driving/riding too fast for the conditions that speed cameras wouldn't care about).

Stop gloating, Amadeus!

I wasn't! Honestly! Ok, maybe a tiny little bit... :)

Here's the full report:

dft_transstats_612594.pdf

Some of you seem to be forgetting that they actually have a speed limit in the UK. The data isn't comparable, because they have a very significant deterrent to stop speeding in the first place. The Island doesn't.

Err..the Island does have speed limits, more and more of them actually, and there are also deterrents to stop speeding over here - they're called "current legislation", "R plate regulations", etc..

Spend more on driver education now, and you will have to spend less on trying to catch and punish, or clean up behind them later...

Here's a point for discussion then; which is more likely to reduce the number of accidents on the Island, a speed limit or compulsory retesting every 5 - 10 years?

Personally, I think the latter.

Steve

Here's a point for discussion then; which is more likely to reduce the number of accidents on the Island, a speed limit or compulsory retesting every 5 - 10 years?

Personally, I think the latter.

Steve

A retest before being allowed to remove R plates is something I support, as is IAM certification for under 21s being better recognised and encouraged by insurance companies.

I also think introducing then withdrawing the written test before gaining provisional licences was a mistake. What's wrong with having some knowledge before being allowed on the roads?

Err..the Island does have speed limits, more and more of them actually, and there are also deterrents to stop speeding over here - they're called "current legislation", "R plate regulations", etc..

Spend more on driver education now, and you will have to spend less on trying to catch and punish, or clean up behind them later...

Do I really need to explain to you that I was referring to roads with no speed limit?

Better "Driver Education" won't happen because driving plays a very small part of most peoples lives. Most people aren't professional drivers. They don't care enough about driving, and if you stop everyday people from driving the economy will come to a stop.

By recently calling for voluntary advanced driver classes, the authorities have basically admitted that the current driving test isn't up to the job, but that they're not going to actually do anything about it.

Just my 2p worth...

The current driving test probably IS up to the job of producing reasonably competent new drivers. Many will be "a car is just for getting from A to B safely" people who will probably drive for their entire lives and never have an accident or cause any problems.

Others will be petrolheads. Young blokes who get a licence are the main 'at risk' group because after passing the test they will immediately start to drive faster and often more recklessly (according to the IOM stats).

That's plain testosterone-fuelled male nature - I spun my Mum's Fiat 500 the day I passed my test at 17, only at low speed and with nothing coming the other way thankfully. It taught me a number of lessons and made me a much better and more cautious driver - but it could have killed people. Only good luck stopped me from being one of those statistics.

So it's THAT group of people, and older drivers who like to drive quickly but maybe haven't ever been taught how to do that safely - that we need to get up to Jurby or somewhere, and get them on a skid pan, and into a car that's overloaded, or has mismatched tyres/pressures. Once you understand the physics of how a car handles, you become MUCH more attuned to it.

The IAM can play a big part too - I'm doing their course at present, and the biggest effect is that I no longer drive on autopilot, which to a greater or lesser degree is what all 'experienced' drivers tend to do. So it's helping me be more 'safety proactive' and less reactive.

The big news today of course is that less than 5% of UK accidents are caused by exceeding speed limits. This alone confirms what a lot of us have believed - intuitively - for years. We've been indoctrinated by the 'speed kills' lobby, and it is FUNDAMENTALLY flawed.

We've all been fed a lie, and it's time to resist the creeping speed limits appearing everywhere and start tackling dopey, dangerous, uninsured and unlicenced drivers, poorly maintained vehicles (my pal's car was written off today because of the diesel spill at the Bungalow), retest motor convicts and old people, and start giving enthusiastic drivers the opportunity to learn how NOT to crash.

I'm NOT having a pop at older people - I'm on the way to being one myself - but it seems to me that an awful lot of elderly drivers either can't see or hear properly, or don't have the mobility or reactions any more to be in control of a ton of metal.

A driving licence shouldn't be for life - it should be a privilege that has to be renewed.

A driving licence shouldn't be for life - it should be a privilege that has to be renewed.

We have to get a new licence every 10 years anyway, due to the photo part, so why couldn't they introduce a re-test of some description at the same time? I wouldn't be averse to it as I've no doubt picked up a number of bad habits since I passed my test in 1989.

What about testing those who think they know how to drive? Over confidence plus stress etc surely must be a very dangerous combination.

My wife training for her big walk was nearly wiped off the road twice by professional drivers i.e. police drivers who were cutting corners on the country roads at high speed. She had to lean tightly into the hedge to avoid serious injury and was missed by inches.

Archived