Cosmic Connexion

Amadeus

Tomorrow at 7.40pm, the TV Station ARTE will broadcast a program called "CosmicConnexion" - but the audience it's aimed at might have to wait a few years to see it:

Titled CosmicConnexion, ARTE’s programme will be going out in the evening this autumn. Using a CNES antenna, it will be broadcasting texts, images and sounds in the direction of 47 Ursa Major, a solar-type star 43 light-years from Earth. Link

Apparently, the 47 Ursae Majoris Planetary System could be similar to ours and potentially allow for habitable planets, although nobody seems to really know that yet. So they'll send them a bit of art work telly up and see what happens - something might just be out there... /cue 50's style space music

Fermi's Paradox!

Bit of a 'phat' read that one!

I'm kind of into the idea that 'in all probability' there are probably other life forms in the universe - but they prefer to keep a bit more 'quiet' about it.

Think of the analogy of a frog sitting in the tree canopy wondering if there are any other frogs 'out there' - he climbs to the highest limb of the highest tree he can find and sits there calling 'ribbit, ribbit, ribbit' to try and call any other similiar frogs - whilst doing this a passing bird picks him up and has him for breakfast.

- I think this is very similiar to the present 'human' situation - for the past hundred years or so, we have been effectively sending radio waves out into space announcing 'here we are', 'nice lunch' - 'come and eat us'!

Well done ARTE!!!

If there's anybody out there - come and eat us!!!

- At least I think I'll be dead by the time the 'message' gets out there!

(Or by the time they might be able to answer!!!!!)

Edited for 'drunk' typos - the ones I can see!

If there's anybody out there - come and eat us!!!

If that should happen, then I guess these guys will be the starter, and they'll even fight for it:

Virgin in talks to make 'Astronaut Idol' show

Sir Richard Branson's Virgin empire is in negotiations to make a Pop Idol-style show for astronauts.

The BBC and ITV have held talks over Astronaut Idol, where six contestants from around the world will compete for a spot on the Virgin Galactic project, which aims to propel commercial passengers into space before the end of the decade.

Will Whitehorn, president of Virgin Galactic, said filming could begin when testing of the Virgin aircraft nears completion in the second half of next year. He added: "The show would be a cross between Dr Who, Star Trek and The Krypton Factor."

I can already imagine the voting procedure: "It's eviction day, and the inmates have gathered in the lounge. Now the public must vote on who will leave the house space craft, and spend the rest of their life orbiting earth... :)

Archived