R Plate Lunatics

Roger Smelly

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Limit the car to a driver's ability!

So how would you do that then?

Limiting wouldn't work, It costs money to fit the limiter, Who would pay that?

If it is found that by accelerating it would have been possible to avoid an accident, Who is at fault?.

Restricting engine size would be pointless, There would be even more smaller tin boxes wizzing around.

To be fair the insurance system should do this. Its not something that the government should need to consider.

I have a friend whose son has recently passed, the rates for anything over 1,000cc in that first year for a 17 / 18 year old are pretty off putting (I think anything over 1,000cc gets an automatic 50% premium loading first year) so you have to look at how some of these morons with fast cars are getting cover.

If the insurance system worked, these kids would be stuck at 900 - 1000 cc for a few years, but I'm guessing that its parents or no insurance at all that is putting hot hatches in the hands of R Plate drivers.

I accept that a 1,000cc car today is still relatively quick, but its a start at least.

It is possible to limit a car to do 50mph, maybe this is where the car makers could step in.

All they need to do is when a car is made make 3 keys one main one, one spare & a learner key that limits the car to 50mph.

This would save a lot of deaths and accidents.

We all were learners once but i know i never did some of the crazy driving that these R platers are doing.

Also i know a few people that passed and didnt even bother with R plates.

Police need to do something, its like i said more plain cars are needed to catch them.

In the UK the police catch more people in unmarked cars than the Pandas.

Common sense don't you all think?

All they need to do is when a car is made make 3 keys one main one, one spare & a learner key that limits the car to 50mph.

Yes, it's that simple I'm sure..... <_<

I have experience of a number of R plate drivers who should have never been allowed to pass their test. They really are shockingly bad and more of a danger than they will ever admit, arguing that they can't be that bad otherwise they wouldn't have passed their test. When you 'learn' how to drive, all you are really learning is how to pass your test by driving in traffic around town.

Probably wouldn't be that difficult - most modern car keys have electronics in them (witness how much it costs to replace them now from a dealer), so a 'learner' key could just send a code to use a different map in the car's ECU, couldn't it?

Simple solution, take a note of the reg and pop into the police station

Although that'll be a complete waste of your time because sod all will get done anyway, a slap on the wrist isn't what I call doing anything

Not necessarily, I reported a driver on an R plate who forced me to take evasive action. The police took me very seriously and followed it up, although they couldn't prosecute (on the basis that it is word against word), they did visit the driver and explain the error of his ways.

Not much of a result, but if these no-beds get a visit from the Police then they may in fact realise that people do notice and care if they are breaking the law. Also if enough of us reported these and other infringements the Police may have to be proactive and actually do something about flagrant breaches of the law including people using mobile phones whilst driving.

Good idea in theory, but in reality even a 1 litre car can be driven too fast.

Not as fast as the BMW M3 with "R" plates I saw the other day though.

I agree with Stookie. It works for motorcyclists and it would work for cars.

A couple of other things, I think children learning to drive at 16 is a good idea but I believe they should not be allowed to take their test until 18, that in addition to the scheme currently being talked about whereby they have to have a lessons track record (a sort of passport) before they can apply to take the test.

As someone already suggested, "R" platers should be limited to carrying one passenger.

I do not agree with limiting a car's top speed. That could actually end up being dangerous as it would affect the power delivery of the engine.

I also agree that new drivers should be limited to the cars they can drive. Yes I know from personal experience that a 1.1 Fiesta can go 80 mph (downhill with a tailwind), but it would only accelerate with a written invitation. Not being able to wind it up quickly in town gets rid of the desire to drive agressively - you just look at tit screaming the balls off the engine to get to 20 mph!

I don't really agree that they should be limited to the number of passengers they can carry though as it's unfairly impractical. It's not just the chavvy girlfriend and collection of mates they drive around with aimlessly, it's also taking mum and gran to the shops or picking up friends from the pub etc.

Probably wouldn't be that difficult - most modern car keys have electronics in them (witness how much it costs to replace them now from a dealer), so a 'learner' key could just send a code to use a different map in the car's ECU, couldn't it?

ok, so for example, Im a learner/R plater, I buy myself a new car with 3 lovely keys that come with it...am I gonna use the learner key or the normal key that uses all the cars horses?? For me to be honest enough to use the learner key then Im guessing I would have to be honest enough and not exceed the 50 limit anyway?

Seems very pointless and expensive.

I totally agree with Nitro about the lack of acceleration to avoid an accident. Who wants to lose drive when theyre most in need of it? Not me for one!

Archived